I have shooting pain in my crowns and my two empty posts, is there anything i can do to help myself other then see a dentist?

I have two porcelain fused to metal crowns, and two posts that currently have no crown. , the crowns were placed in May/June, posts both had new temps. I lost my job & have not had enough $ since. I lost temp#1 right away.The 2nd temp came off yesterday, there was a bad smell & pain. The two crowns and this post is what hurts. I have flossed with super floss coated in clove oil, brushed and rinsed with sensitive teeth paste/wash, & taken (left over) Ketorolac but the pain wont stop. Plz Help

Doctor Answers 4

Tooth Pain

I empathize with you about your job situation. It is not the first time I have heard this.

Obviously seeing the dentist would be the best option. That being said you must prevent more damage to the area by protecting the exposed teeth. They are very fragile and may become fractured while you get your finances together.

Since you probably had a root canal done on the tooth an abscess may be re forming in the area. Colloidal silver may help a little. You can find that in a health food store. Garlic is also good to help with the pain but you must be careful, it can burn the tissues as will the clove oil.

Don't eat on that side at all!

I'm a holistic dentist so my recommendations wont have any toxic materials like Fluoride or Mercury involved.

You need to prevent decay from attacking the area. Ozinated olive oil and iodine will help keep the bacteria under control. Additionally you can increase your minerals if you are interested in supplementing your diet.......Which I would also recommend.

Another topic you might investigate is why the teeth got damaged in the first place.

Many times our eating habits have a profound influence on what happens in the mouth.

These suggestions may buy you some time but you really need to get to a dentist.

I have shooting pain in my crowns and my two empty posts, is there anything i can do to help myself other then see a dentist

If you don't want to have more pain and potentially lose the teeth you've mentioned, you should definitely see a dentist as soon as possible. The more time that passes, the worse the end out come will be for you.

Regarding any over the counter medicines that will help....I advise against that. In my professional opinion, in your case you will waste time, money and effort and your problem will just get worse with delay.

Beg, borrow or steal some money and get the dental help you need!

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Dentist


You should see a dentist ASAP. There are no homeopathic methods to help, and there may be some serious issues.

Lance Timmerman, DMD, MAGD
Seattle Dentist
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Shooting Pain in Crown and Empty Posts

See a dentist or a dental school clinic ASAP. This question cannot be answered online. Only a dentist with proper X-rays can give you an answer.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.