Shifted Cartilage After Rhinoplasty and Dent in Nose

i had rhinoplasty 8 months ago and my PS said my cartilage shifted a little. He suggested Radisesse in my nose to fill in the dent. What are my options to fix the cartilage?

Radiesse vs. Graft

A cartilage graft is the best option for revising your problem. Prof. Dr. Enrique Pedro Gagliardi, MD  

Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Result after rhinoplasty

There is always some swelling following a rhinoplasty so it may be difficult tot determine what was swelling and what was shifting.In any case typically I find a cartilage grafts useful however if the shift is minimal nothing may be required or a small rasping of the dorsum may suffice.

Option to Improve Dent in Nose after Rhinoplasty

Jamiee,

Minor dents in the nose or bridge can happen have rhinoplasty. Treatment may include filling it with either cartilage graft, which requires surgery, or office injection. Non-surgical rhinoplasty via office injections with either Radiesse or hyaluronic acid filler can provide temporary improvement, lasting for several months or longer. These nasal injections, however, should never be put into the tip of the nose. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you . Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-Operative Cartilage Shifting

Radiesse is a reasonable temporary solution and can be used indefinitely if you are happy with the correction it affords. A definitve repair will necessitate re-operation with cartilage grafting or re-positioning of the existing nasal cartilage - depending upon the actual problem. This is not always a technically simple procedure but should involve less dissection and therefore a shorter recovery period. Best of luck  Dr Harrell

Dent in nose, cartilage shift after Rhinoplasty

Revision Rhinoplasty would be required to gain access to the shifted onlay cartilage graft.  Onlay grafts that are not sewn or glued into place can and do move.

Sometimes a soft tissue filler like Radiesse can be a good, long-lasting option but it depends on the location of the nose and the nature of the indentation. Cartilage grafts are probably the best and longest-lasting option because they can be shaped exactly to fit the indentation. You should wait at least one year after first-time surgery before making the correction to allow any further residual healing to take its course.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dent in Nose after Rhinoplasty

You can either use the Radiesse or fix the dent permanently with a cartilage graft. If you choose to have cartilage grafts, wait another 4-6 months.

Dent and rhinoplasty revision

A filler may be worth it for a small asymmetry and help avoid surgery, but it is not permanent.  You may need a cartilage graft of some sort for longer lasting results.

Revision rhinoplasty for dent in nose

Fillers will only camouflage the problem and are a temporary solution which need to be repeated to maintain the effect. A small concavity ("dent") is often best treated with a graft. I'd wait a least a year from your surgery to allow complete healing and so that the final extent of the problem can be analyzed and corrected. Be patient, sometimes this is just the way the healing process occurs in rhinoplasty and small revisions are needed. That's why many consider it to be the most challenging of cosmetic procedures.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and shifted cartilage.

Fillers in the nose may seem like an attractive option for fixing irregularities after rhinoplasty. A very small asymmetry may worth be fixing with a filler, but this may not be a permanent solution. You may require multiple injections. For other than that, you may require surgery, although a filler may seem attractive it may not achieve your goal, and may make surgeryore difficult in the future. Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon