Can PRP treatment help my hair to thicken? (Photo)

My hair had thinned considerably since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Not just my hairline, but all over.

PRP and hypothyroidism? ENGLEWOOD CLIFFS NJ

In my opinion you need to be evaluated by a hair expert. It is possible that you have telogen effluvium. This does not respond to PRP. If your shedding is due to an unmasked FPHL, then it may respond to PRP. A good exam, blood work and history as well as biopsy may be needed. Good luck.

Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP/Hair loss/Hypothyroidism--PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone, follicular unit (FUE) hair tran

Yes, PRP is used as a treatment for hair loss. Spironolactone and progesterone can also help regrow hair. Other options may also help: follicular unit hair transplantation. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

PRP to help your hair thicken

Yes, it certainly can.  PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) takes your own growth factors to stimulate cell improvement.  In the case of hair loss or hair thinning, it can help reverse that process to give you healthier hair again.  The hypothyroidism should be controlled before you begin any treatments for your hair for optimal results.

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP for Hair loss

Thanks for your question. First, be sure your hypothyroidism has been fully corrected with oral thyroid hormone. After that you can certainly benefit from PRP. We do a combination of PRP injection as well as medical microneedling of the region with additional PRP topically. Use of a topical (Revivogen or similar, and topical quilib which is made by Galderma and is available in many retail stores), an oral supplement such as Viviscal Professional, and possibly a high quality home use low level laser cap (Such as Lasercap LCPRO) are all valuable to maintain your results. We usually recommend a series of 3 sessions one month apart, followed by maintenance session every 8 to 12 months (or sooner if you notice hair start to shed again). Those using multiple modalities (PRP, topical, vitamin, laser cap) will be able to go the longest in between maintenance session.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician