I had an upper blepharoplasty 20 years ago and have developed a drooping right eye. What can be done for this? (photo)

Right eye and brow sits lower than the left. When I retain fluid, my fight eyeball looks much bigger than the left. I have dry eyes and burning, itchy lids. Genetically speaking, my eyes will droop even more as I age.

Ptosis Surgery does NOT equal Upper Blepharoplasty

Upper blepharoplasty removes skin (+/- fat) from upper eyelids. It does NOT alter eyelid position.  As someone ages, the upper eyelid drops due to stretching of the muscle responsible for lifting the upper eyelid. That is called ptosis and it is treated by tightening that muscle. The procedure is called eyelid ptosis surgery. See an oculoplastic surgeon. See following link and video.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Both eyelids are droopy.

Most likely you will need surgery on both upper eyelids.  Please see a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon for this care.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a directory on their website that will help you find a highly qualified surgeon close to home.

Aging Eyelids

Hello, thank you for your question and photos.  You definitely have eyelid ptosis and also what appears to be some brow ptosis.  You also describe symptoms of dry eye.  I would suggest a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon who can evalute your eyelid position and also if you have have dry eye and suggest ways it can be treated.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hi Renamaesheila, Thanks for your questions and photos. Based on your picture, you do appear to have mild ptosis of your right upper lid and brow. I think the blepharoplasty 20 years ago most likely isn't related to the ptosis. However, everyone has some degree of facial asymmetry and this is likely the reason why one side is more affected that the other. The good news is that ptosis of the lid and brow responds very nicely to surgical repair. I would recommend a consultation with a skilled oculofacial plastic surgeon in your area. I hope this helps, good luck!