I have an abdominal hernia and want to know what stomach fat reducing procedure is best?

Abdominal hernia that can't be seen. I was told by dr. That they would not do coolsculting until I had hernia repair. I do not want to have it repaired. I'm 66 and have good stomach skin. The hernia is deep and can't be seen.

Hernia and fat reducing treatments

Its best to have your hernia repaired before any surgical or non surgical fat reducing procedure.  These procedures can cause damage to the hernia and should be avoided.        

Tummy Tuck with Hernia Repair

Thank you for your question. It's difficult to give recommendations without photos or an in person consultation. Generally speaking, your doctor is correct and you should have the hernia repaired before any other kind of procedure. That said, I often perform hernia repair at the same time as a tummy tuck procedure. If you desire a flat tummy and contoured waistline, then this combination might be right for you. You should make sure you're working with a board certified plastic surgeon for exact recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting of the Abdomen is Not Recommended When a Hernia is Present

Hello and thank-you for your question.

Coolsculpting is not recommended when a hernia is presnt due to concerns about injury of intra-abdomenal contents which may protrude into the hernia.  You may consider a diagnostic ultrasound to determine if you truly have a hernia if you have any doubts.  If you do have a hernia, I would recommend having it repaired to eliminate the possibility of incarceration.  Once you have the hernia repair, you can proceed with Coolsculpting. I recommend scheduling a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon well versed in all options for body contouring to determine if you an ideal candidate for Coolsculpting.

Best regards

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Abdominal hernia

Thank you for your question. Any form of liposuction, conventional, laser, coolsculpting can be frought with problems in the setting of an abdominal hernia. The fear is that the passage of the cannula will damage the loop of bowel caught in the hernia. This can really cause dangerous problems; ie causing a hole in the bowel, infection, skin necrosis. All not good! A hernia can be repaired at the time of an abdominoplasty, which would be a safe alternative. 

Hernia and Coolsculpting

I agree with your surgeon. Even though the chances are low, it is still possible for the Coolsculpting to suck the hernia contents into the treatment area.

Hernia

Hi,

Thank you for your question. I would not advise any procedures until the hernia is fixed. It can cause injury to the area that has the hernia. I would repair the hernia and discuss the other options with your board certified plastic surgeon.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Fat reducing

Any procedure to treat subcutaneous fat risks injury to the contents of the hernia (fat and/or intestines). You should not have any cosmetic surgery unless the hernia is fixed. Period.