What is the difference between a neck lift, a lower face and neck lift and a facelift with a neck lift? (Photo)

The terms used for neck lift, lower facelift with neck lift and facelift with neck lift. I don't know the difference between a facelift and a lower facelift. There are so many names for similar surgeries. Doctors sometimes recommend a cheek lift and neck lift. What's the difference between a facelift and cheek lift. Also, you can see a neck scar from a parathyroidectomy.

Variations On A Theme

The extent of the facelift operation is tailored to each patient's needs and can range from:

• A mini lift: a small skin excision from in-front of the ear that tightens the skin along the jaw line in younger patients, to 
  • A lower face and neck lift: an extension of the mini lift that brings the incision higher in front of the ear to the sideburn and further back behind the ear into the hairline to tighten the neck and reposition the deeper soft tissues of the face to efface neck bands, lift the jowls, and add volume back to the cheeks (a cheek lift), to
  • An upper and lower face and neck lift: a further extension of the incision higher in-front of the sideburn to allow tightening of the upper face — addressing the crows feet.  

See the link below for more info.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Lower Facelift/ Necklift Candidate

It is sometimes confusing to patients who have done a fair amount of research and see so many different terms which doctors use.  The terms may vary from surgeon to surgeon so it is important to have a full understanding of the procedure during consultation.  A lower facelift with neck lift and a facelift with neck lift is basically the same procedure. Your photograph above shows you to be an excellent candidate for a lower facelift and necklift. Seek consultation with some experts in the field. I have attached a link below of examples of facelift before and afters as well as the video above. I hope this is helpful. 

Michael Elam, MD

Neck Lift, Lower Facelift, Facelift -- Differences?

Your questions are excellent, and it is quite easy to become confused by the terminology.  Because sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, I have attached a video that helps to explain the different areas, how they age, and what can be done to reverse the signs of aging.  I hope this helps. 

Facelift with attention to the neck

It is sometimes confusing to sort through the different terms which doctors use.  The terms simply describe varying degrees of surgical intervention.  A lower facelift with necklift and a facelift with neck lift is essentially the same.  The term cheeklift implies a midface lift as opposed to a facelift which usually applies to the lower face.  Based on your photo, you would seem to be a good candidate for a facelift with attention to the neck, especially the platysma.  Its best to go for a consultation with a certified, experienced surgeon.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift, lower face and neck lift, and neck lift

A face lift  usually addresses upper cheeks and jawline whereas a lower face and neck lift addresses  jawline and neck and a neck lift only addresses the neck. This being said mini lifts or named lifts  can address all the same areas listed above to a lesser or greater degree depending on the needs of the individual.  If you are interested in a particular area as far as improvement, listen to what is being said as far as the lift being offered and if your particular concern is not addressed then ask about it specifically. If you are seeing more than one surgeon, asking specifically about your concern will help you compare apples to apples.

Ritu Malhotra, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. There are surgical and non-surgical approaches to reducing and eliminating your neck scar from a parathyroidectomy. I suggest that you move forward and consult in-person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon about this scar, which will provide you the opportunity to ask all of your questions, including the differences between each surgy.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Names for Face and Neck Lifts

The term "Facelift" is one of the most misunderstood terms. A facelift is correction of the effects of aging of the lower face and neck. Since many people do not understand what it includes, many physicians add extra words or phrases to try and explain this better. Some physicians actually do neck lift as a separate procedure, but, in my opinion, this is inappropriate since the neck deformity actually comes from the face and any surgery without correcting the face does not result in a natural result. Besides, a neck lift costs about the same and has about the same recovery as a facelift that gives a better result.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

What is the difference between a neck lift, a lower face and neck lift and a facelift with a neck lift?

There is no strict rules to the nomenclature so the terms mean what that surgeon wants them to . Traditionally a "facelift" lifted the cheeks, jowls and neck and would better be described as a "lower face and neck lift", a term many people do use including myself. Tradition was also that the brow was treated with a "brow lift". "Cheek lifts" lift the cheeks and maybe a little jowl. "Neck lifts" lift the neck and maybe a little jowl.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower face and neck lift

There are many terms used for a facelift procedure which can be very confusing to the consumer. In our practice, we perform a high-SMAS  lower face and neck lift. We do not perform a cheek lift in our practice,  we place cheek implants for patients who have a weak maxilla  and a flat cheek profile. Cheek implants augment the mid-face when volume restoration is needed. Concentrate on finding a surgeon who produces natural  Facelift results that you like by examining their before-and-after photo gallery, which should be extensive. Make three appointments with busy facelift surgeons in your area. For many  before and after results of lower facelifts, and more information, please see the link and video below

Facelift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a facelift.  I completely understand your confusion.  There are so many names out there for the same procedure.  The best advice that you can receive will come from an in-person consultation.  If good technique is used, your facelift (under the specific name your surgeon chooses) can be done with minimal scarring and can result in a natural look, not over-done look, with rejuvenation of your face.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD