I'm 71 and I'm very concerned about looking surgically altered. Can lifts be performed without being over corrected? (Photo)

My skin, eyes, brow, neck and jowls need improvement. Everything has dropped. However, I do believe an older woman can look attractive with minor improvements. I will post some photos.

You don't see good plastic surgery

So good plastic surgery blends in with the crowd, bad plastic surgery stands out. 

you can, of course look as tight as you want but most of my patients would prefer a gentle winding back of the clock, not a radical new face. 

Ask your surgeon what they recommend. From your photos I suspect the more different you want to look, the more work will be required but a subtle effect could be achieved in a number of ways to get you a result that is noticed, but only by the people you want to notice. 

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Natural Facelift, necklift, lower face lift

You have jowls and excess skin of the neck. You would most benefit from seeing a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon. From what you have posted a Facelift, Zlift with SMAS will probably give you the best long term natural results. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

I'm 71 and I'm very concerned about looking surgically altered. Can lifts be performed without being over corrected?

Hello Renamaesheila - Thanks for your question.  The oldest patient I ever performed an elective facelift on was 85 years old.  The oldest patient I ever performed an elective necklift on was 92 years old. Both were healthy and youthful.  The goal of properly performed elective surgery of the face is a natural outcome.  A facelift should be performed without looking overly corrected.  Management of facial aging is properly done by correction of aging skin, volume loss, and laxity of facial structures. In your situation, it would seem that a face and neck lift, along with facial skin treatments and volume addition with fat/filler around the mouth would work very nicely for you. A temporal browlift performed via small hairline incisions would also be helpful. I would suggest you consult with a facial cosmetic surgery specialist in your area for more information. Check out my video on how to find the right plastic surgeon for you.Good luck, Dr. Shah 

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Natural Looking Facelift

The goal for a properly performed lift is for a patient to look natural. Consult with an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon to understand your options. Review his before and afters and understand his philosophy to ensure that it is a match for your goals/objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Natural-looking face lifts

Excellent question - also, thanks for sharing your photos.  A well-done face lift is not "a single procedure", but rather, a collection of 50 or so "maneuvers" each one customized to the meet the goals chosen and agreed on together by the patient and the facelift surgeon. For excellent results, each maneuver must be executed well - in its own right - as well as done in such a way that it complements all the components of the whole. You asked about "over correction": keeping the endgame (an aesthetically pleasing, natural-looking, and best-version-of-you) in mind, some maneuvers may be slightly "over-corrected" at the time of surgery, understanding that certain aspects of the lift will "settle" predictably in the post-operative days and weeks. The artistic eye and technical experience of your surgeon are critical to precisely execute all the details - so that the final result is corrected "just right".  Choose your board-certified facelift surgeon carefully. Look at the before and after photos. Make sure that your goals are clearly understood and agreed upon. 

About Facial Rejuvenation with Lite-lift™

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. The LiteLift™ is an innovative facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Larry Nichter and myself which benefits many male patients. The goal of the #LiteLift is to provide a less invasive natural looking option for both men and women desiring to refresh their appearance with less downtime and risks. The LiteLift® is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue and overlying skin.

The technique requires limited incisions and takes a vertical lifting approach, in contrast to the traditional facelift, which requires extensive incisions and lifts or pulls the face towards the ears horizontally. The modern techniques used allow us to perform most LiteLift® procedures in the office under local anesthesia. Also, removing the risk of general anesthesia opens the door for more people to pursue facial surgery. All too often people do not move forward with undergoing the desires facelift surgery due to their overwhelming fear of the risks associated with general anesthesia.

This is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with stable skin elasticity, well-defined bone structure but showing early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™. All in all, Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient. 

Natural-looking Facelift Results

Thank you for your question and photos.  If you are in good health, you may be an excellent candidate for a neck and facelift.   Looking overly corrected is one of the main concerns patients have when considering a facelift.  A board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in facelift surgery will be able to show you natural looking before and after pictures, which should help you feel more confident about your decision. There are other additional procedures that can be helpful in restoring a youthful appearance, such as the addition of  facial fat grafting, dermal fillers, a blepharoplasty, which all have a very rejuvenating effect without looking unnatural. The problem with facelifts is that you only notice the bad ones or those that have been overdone; the best ones are beautiful and natural looking. I hope this helps.  Best of luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Thank you for your question and your photos. A facelift should never appear over done or unnatural. You are a good candidate for a facelift with some skin looseness, some soft tissue laxity and some deflation in soft tissue in the cheek. A facelift should provide long lasting natural results if done correctly. Begin with a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon. Seek a surgeon that does at least 100 facelifts per year. Facelifts are one of the most complicated procedures that plastic surgeons perform and an experienced surgeon will likely yield the best results. 

Wish you all the best,

Dr. Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Natural Results from Facial Lifting and Rejuvenation

Although the pictures you published do not give a complete picture and to decide exactly what you need would require a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in facial and skin rejuvenation, you appear to mainly need skin rejuvenation and a facelift (which includes the neck). The main reason you need to see someone very experienced is that, when performed incorrectly or by taking shortcuts, the results can be quite unnatural. When done correctly, however, the results can create a much younger appearing, natural you. (See TodaysFacelift.com)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Concept Facelift under

Thank you for your question.  I have pioneered my Concept Facelift™ this type of Rhytidectomy is unique as the facelift is performed under local anaesthetic, and is less invasive than traditional methods, meaning the cosmetic surgery has a significantly faster recovery time. The cosmetic procedure is similar to a mini facelift as it is performed with a short scar that runs in front of the ear, down to the ear lobe and tucked behind the ear. There will be no dressings or drains afterwards. This is performed as a day case, walk in-walk out procedure with minimal bruising and downtime. For those who have excess fat under the chin but still have good muscle tone and skin, liposuction of the neck will be sufficient. If the skin has lost elasticity, removal of excess skin (Neck Lift Surgery) to tighten and tone the neck will also be required. Tightening of the platysma muscle (also known as platysmaplasty) will require a small incision under the chin away from direct view to gain access to the front edge of the muscles on the neck; they are sutured together with permanent stitches. The muscles of the neck are the foundations and building blocks of the neck and are fundamental to achieving a tight and toned result.Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.Best Wishes