I'm 71 and I'm very concerned about looking surgically altered. Can lifts be performed without being over corrected? (Photo)

My skin, eyes, brow, neck and jowls need improvement. Everything has dropped. However, I do believe an older woman can look attractive with minor improvements. I will post some photos.

Natural Facelift, necklift, lower face lift

You have jowls and excess skin of the neck. You would most benefit from seeing a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon. From what you have posted a Facelift, Zlift with SMAS will probably give you the best long term natural results. Good luck...

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

I'm 71 and I'm very concerned about looking surgically altered. Can lifts be performed without being over corrected?

Hello Renamaesheila - Thanks for your question.  The oldest patient I ever performed an elective facelift on was 85 years old.  The oldest patient I ever performed an elective necklift on was 92 years old. Both were healthy and youthful.  The goal of properly performed elective surgery of the face is a natural outcome.  A facelift should be performed without looking overly corrected.  Management of facial aging is properly done by correction of aging skin, volume loss, and laxity of facial structures. In your situation, it would seem that a face and neck lift, along with facial skin treatments and volume addition with fat/filler around the mouth would work very nicely for you. A temporal browlift performed via small hairline incisions would also be helpful. I would suggest you consult with a facial cosmetic surgery specialist in your area for more information. Check out my video on how to find the right plastic surgeon for you.Good luck, Dr. Shah 

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

You don't see good plastic surgery

So good plastic surgery blends in with the crowd, bad plastic surgery stands out. 

you can, of course look as tight as you want but most of my patients would prefer a gentle winding back of the clock, not a radical new face. 

Ask your surgeon what they recommend. From your photos I suspect the more different you want to look, the more work will be required but a subtle effect could be achieved in a number of ways to get you a result that is noticed, but only by the people you want to notice. 

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Thank you for your question and your photos. A facelift should never appear over done or unnatural. You are a good candidate for a facelift with some skin looseness, some soft tissue laxity and some deflation in soft tissue in the cheek. A facelift should provide long lasting natural results if done correctly. Begin with a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon. Seek a surgeon that does at least 100 facelifts per year. Facelifts are one of the most complicated procedures that plastic surgeons perform and an experienced surgeon will likely yield the best results. 

Wish you all the best,

Dr. Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Natural Results from Facial Lifting and Rejuvenation

Although the pictures you published do not give a complete picture and to decide exactly what you need would require a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in facial and skin rejuvenation, you appear to mainly need skin rejuvenation and a facelift (which includes the neck). The main reason you need to see someone very experienced is that, when performed incorrectly or by taking shortcuts, the results can be quite unnatural. When done correctly, however, the results can create a much younger appearing, natural you. (See TodaysFacelift.com)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Concept Facelift under

Thank you for your question.  I have pioneered my Concept Facelift™ this type of Rhytidectomy is unique as the facelift is performed under local anaesthetic, and is less invasive than traditional methods, meaning the cosmetic surgery has a significantly faster recovery time. The cosmetic procedure is similar to a mini facelift as it is performed with a short scar that runs in front of the ear, down to the ear lobe and tucked behind the ear. There will be no dressings or drains afterwards. This is performed as a day case, walk in-walk out procedure with minimal bruising and downtime. For those who have excess fat under the chin but still have good muscle tone and skin, liposuction of the neck will be sufficient. If the skin has lost elasticity, removal of excess skin (Neck Lift Surgery) to tighten and tone the neck will also be required. Tightening of the platysma muscle (also known as platysmaplasty) will require a small incision under the chin away from direct view to gain access to the front edge of the muscles on the neck; they are sutured together with permanent stitches. The muscles of the neck are the foundations and building blocks of the neck and are fundamental to achieving a tight and toned result.Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.Best Wishes 

Improvement for your skin, eyes, brow, neck and jowls can still look very natural.

Improvement for your skin, eyes, brow, neck and jowls  can still look very natural. Options would include mini face and neck lift using a laser for collagen stimulation and liposculpture... done in a office procedure setting.Upper blepharoplasty and fractional laser resurfacing could be considered as enhancements at the same time or done piecemeal serially. Although all can be done at the same time and still look as though you are refreshed after a nice vacation and not like you have had "work done".

Ritu Malhotra, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. There are multiple different techniques of facelift/necklift and the simple answer to your question is yes. It is most important to see a surgeon that understands your expressed interested and can show you before and after pictures of patients that have undergone a facelift. This will give you an idea of whether or not the surgeon's approach to facelift is in line with your desired outcome.

Anthony J. Wilson, MD
Portsmouth Physician

Minor improvements

If you are concerned about looking too drastically better, start with injections such as Botox and fillers. That may be enough to give you the "minor improvements" that you seek. Next consider fractional CO2 resurfacing for your skin, which can be done with different levels of aggressiveness. Then maybe a minifacelift with or without a necklift or fat transfer. Finally a high SMAS lift with fat transfer and neck lift with staged traditional CO2 resurfacing will give you the best results. The risks do go up with the more aggressive procedures but the benefits also increase. It's a process; start with whatever you are comfortable with.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Look better, younger

Nothing short of a well done  facelift will make a significant difference for your level of aging. Overcorrection should be avoided by your surgeon.  Ancillary procedures such as fillers to lessen the sunken look around the eyes should also be considered.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon