My daughters left implant broke but her right implant is fine. Is it ok for her to keep right implant or should both be removed?

Left Breast Implant Rupture | Replace Both Left and Right Breast Implants ?

Thank you for your question.  How long have the implants been in?

If breast implants have been in for 10 years or longer, then it makes some sense to get both implants changed at the time of surgery.  All surgery carries risk, including any surgery on the right side too.

To be sure, your daughter should reach out directly and see two or more board certified plastic surgeons for a consultation to make sure she are a good candidate and that it is safe for her to have surgery.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Replacing implants

If her right implant is fine and not too old, and she wishes to replace her left implant, I would recommend leaving the right implant alone.  There are always risks with surgery.  If her implant is over 10 years old, especially older than 15 years, she may want to replace both. 

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Replace one implant or both

Thank you for your question. As long as there is no problem with the other implant, I see no reason to replace both. Good luck

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral exchange after implant rupture

As long as she is not experiencing any problems with the right side (infection, capsule, rupture) there should be no issue with keeping the right implant and exchanging only the left .

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

If there is not an issue with the other side,  replacing one implant would be OK.

Should both breast implants be replaced after only one has broken or ruptured?

If the implants are new then a replacement of only the broken implant is in acceptable course of action as long as your surgeon can place the new implant in a location which looks symmetrical with the normal side.

If the implants have been in longer it is likely that the new replaced implant will not match the old implant which has established a pocket.  The knee situations replacing both implants is probably a better option.

Of course you need to consult a board certified plastic surgeon for a proper opinion.

It depends

In most instances it's best to replace both, unless it was just recently put in and there is no capsule contracture present. It's best to generally place bilateral implants at the same time to heal symmetrically. 

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

We don't have enough information to answer the question. But in general if the implant is relatively new and she is totally happy with the intact implant and it is soft, it would be ok to keep it.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

?Replace both #breastimplants?

There's no right answer BUT if they implants have been in for a longer time (over ten years) then it may be a good opportunity to replace both.  The potential for needing to replace an implant goes up over time; it would be frustrating to have her heal from the one implant and then have a problem with the other one.

If, however, they are relatively recent and the unbroken one is otherwise fine, then it makes sense just to replace the one that needs it.

She should, of course, discuss all of this with her own plastic surgeon.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

My daughter's left implant broke but her right implant is fine. Is it ok for her to keep right implant or both be removed?

Hello!  Thank you for the question!  It is certainly reasonable to leave the unaffected implant in place. However, it is typical to simply exchange both implants, especially for spontaneous rupture, as longevity of implants are similar.  This is especially true for the older generation implants and those with lives of 10+ years already.  

If your daughter's implant was for traumatic reasons, it may be reasonable to keep the opposite side intact. But, if placed several years ago, with older generation implants, or need for revision due to asymmetry, implant rippling, contracture, etc., exchange of both implants should at least be considered. Discuss this with a plastic surgeon who will discuss the risks and benefits. Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!  

Lewis Albert Andres, MD