Does the Monalisa Touch laser treatment work for vulvadynia?

I have vulvadynia which may be csused at least in part by menopause - that was when I started noticing pain with intercourse which eventually became chronic vulva/vaginal pain which is most often felt as a burning abd or irritation.. Would the Monalisa Touch laser work for me? I've also had shrinking of the inner labia.

Definitely, maybe!

The MonaLisa Touch will help with the trophy and symptoms that are associated with it.  There are studies underway on vulvodynia specifically, so the jury is still out, however, it sounds like your symptoms will respond to the therapy if they increased with menopause.

MonaLisa Touch for vulvadynia

Based on your history of increasing pain with menopause, you may have some loss of estrogen causing the pain, in which case MonaLisa Touch could be beneficial.   The fractional CO2 laser will increase the health of the vaginal skin which could decrease your pain.   

Best regards!

Christina Pramudji, MD
Houston Urogynecologist

Will the MonaLisa Touch help wit vulvadynia

We aren't sure.  
Sometimes though, if there is significant vaginal atrophy, continued neurological windup from that pain source can flare up the vulvadynia.  
Vulvandynia is a complex regional pain syndrome so a multimodal approach is best.  We are using the external probe on the MonaLisa Touch to treat lichen sclerosis patients.  I would consider using it to treat vulvadynia if you have tried everything else first as we have no specific data yet.

Vulvadynia

The Monalisa is currently FDA approved for what is now called genitalurinary syndrome of menopause (GSM). Currently people are studying the Monalisa for vulvar skin disorders and are having good success. I have talk to several people from around the country that have used the Monalisa for painful vulvar syndrome and have seen good results. As of right now it's not indicated for this but may be helpful. Painful vulvar syndrome is a very difficult condition to treat. Since the Monalisa is a simple non invasive treatment it maybe worth a try. One other treatment that I have had good success with is vulvar Botox injections. Just another option for you to consider. 

John Baten, MD
Jackson OB/GYN

Not ready to shop for treatments

You need a thorough gynecologic evaluation to determine the source of your symptoms. Many of these pain syndromes are caused by skin infections. FemiLift and MonaLisa are designed to treat the skin of the vaginal canal and not the vulvar area.