Is there a limit for IPL/VBeam treatments?

If you have IPL or VBeam laser treatments to help with redness and brown marks, is there a limit to how many I should do? Will too many laser treatments cause hypopigmentation or some parts of your face to be lighter than others? Would too many treatments damage the melanin cells? I am not sure and wanted to learn about this topic so I can approach my redness/marks with the best option. Thank you.

V-Beam treatments for skin maintenance

Both the V-Beam and the IPL help improve skin discoloration.  The V-Beam and the IPL laser help with redness.  Most of my patients will get treated with these lasers until the desired results are achieved.  With all skin treatments, there may be a maintenance program.  I have many patients do the V-Beam a few times a year to maintain the beautiful results. 

How many IPL treatments

The main thing to consider before you start your treatments is to have a consult with a reputable dermatologist/facial/plastic surgeon. My practice has been considered by Lumenis lasers to be a Lumenis laser center of excellence and I have been a "Lumary" (Lumenis physician teacher) for the last 10 years. Not many physicians have these recognitions. I also help develop and teach my own Rosacea and Melasma protocols for the Lumenis IPL systems to other physicians and technicians. 

There is no limit on the amount of IPL treatments that you can have. When I treat my patients for Rosacea or Melasma I let them know that they will have to come for serial and maintenance treatments for the rest of their lives. So there is no limit of treatments that a patient can receive when this IPL treatments are done properly. The risks of hypopigmentation should be minimal to none when proper IPL treatments are performed. Melanocyte cells should be unaffected.

Hypopigmentation risks are more when true resurfacing of the face is performed by laser, chemical peel, or dermabrasion. I have not seen this in my 12 years experience with IPL.

Hopoe this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon