My incision is painful and looks terrible, what can be done? (Photos)

I had a breast lift with implant exchange as well as a tt revision 10 days ago. I've had pain under my left breast by the incision since day 1. I asked my ps about it at my last visit and was told it was from the stitches holding the implant in. Today I took pictures so I could see what was going on and I'm at a loss for words. The incision is so ugly and there's a crease on that side whereas the right side is smooth. I see him Monday, what should I say to him about this?

Trouble With Incision after Surgery

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Concerned about incision

Hello, I can not see your incision very well in the photos.  It is common to have puckering and irregularity of a fresh incision, which can last at least 4-6 weeks until the buried sutures dissolve away.    If you are worried about the incision you should just ask your surgeon if they feel that the appearance is normal, and if it will improve.

Too soon to tell

You have to take a deep breath and give it time to heal before getting too stressed about it. You can also review this with your surgeon,  Good luck.

Incision issues

I'm sorry to hear about your distress and concern with the look of your recent surgical scar. From what I can see it does look slightly irregular. There may be some internal sutures that will need to loosen in order for it to flatten out. Over time, the rounded nature of the implant as well as gravity will usually win to flatten the scar appearance. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource in advising you about what to do. Tell he or she about your concern when you see them at your next appointment. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Painful Distorted Inframammary Incision 10 Days Post Breast Mastopexy Revision

I am truly sorry that you are going through both pain and a certain degree of apprehension about the outcome of your breast implant exchange.  Obviously, your personal plastic surgeon is the best person to speak to about your concerns.  When you see him on Monday, I suggest you be very frank.

That being said, as far as the dent is concerned, all plastic surgeons get such dents every now and then, and it is normally related to subcuticular dissolvable sutures which grasp a little more tissue than the rest of the sutures leading to a temporary dent which cures itself once the stitch dissolves.  

Your pain problem is a little more complex as there are any number of reasons why you are having a painful suture line.  Most often, such painful suture lines are again related to dissolvable sutures which irritate cutaneous nerves.  This problem also dissolves once the suture dissolves.  

There is too much information out on the internet about plastic surgery complications.  We all know too much and too little about every medical subject at the same time.  Thank you for contacting RealSelf about your concerns and I hope I have been helpful, but again your personal plastic surgeon is the best expert to answer your questions.

10 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

In my practice, after performing a BA+BL I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Respectfully 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD