Is my belly button dying after tt revision? (photo)

I am 6 days post op from a full tt revision which included moving my already existing floating belly button to a higher position. I knew there was a small chance the bb could die so when I just took off my dressing I freaked when I saw that it's black. Is this part of the normal healing process or does it look like it's becoming necrotic?

Dead belly button

Thanks for your question and photo.  I am sorry that you are having a problem.  It is hard to tell from the photo; I see alot of crusts which could just be dried blood/fluid.  Best to get wound care instructions directly from your surgeon.   At 6 days, it is early in the healing process and too early to judge the result.  Best to give it a few weeks and then you will know for sure.  Good luck.  

Belly button viability

From the photo, it seems like there is some exudate/crusting of the wound and some surrounding erythema (redness) that most likely is inflammation, not infection.  It is still early to assess true viability of the belly button, but there may be superficial (shallow) sloughing of the outer skin layer. Most likely, there is good healing tissue under this which will go on to make this better.  I would think that you see your plastic surgeon soon and I would see what he/she says about it.  It may be indicated to remove some of the dark tissue - called debridement - to hasten the healing.  Oftentimes, some of these wounds look worse in the early stages, but go on to heal remarkably well.  Cheers!

Bradley Remington, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck revision - is my belly button ok?

Thank you for asking about your belly button revision.

I understand your concern. I am not sure there is tissue necrosis (death) but you certainly have a lot of crusts.  I suggest you call your surgeon's office to find out if you should be seen and if not, how to manage this.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Belly button

Thanks for the question and for the photo.

Relax, the belly button looks fine.  There are sutures and some scab making it look bad.

Deep breaths!  Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS