Will insurance cover a breast lift for sown one who has tuberous breasts?

I have a very severe case of tuberous breasts and I was unable to breastfeed my daughter due to the awful size difference and shape of my breasts and nipples. I have BC/BS as insurance. The size of each breast is so different my bra is either too tight on on side or too lose. I can't wear a bikini or just be comfortable all around. Thank you

Not generally covered

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Usually, insurance does not cover tuberous breast correction surgery. However, to make sure you can call your insurance provider and ask if they do. 

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures. At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Insurance coverage..?

The easiest way to check is flip your insurance card over and call the member services number. Ask them if your particular plan covers correction of tuberous breast deformities. If yes ask them for a participating provider that is near you. If not then you can consult with a board certified plastic surgeon on a cosmetic basis.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts and insurance

Unfortunately, insurance does not cover treatment of tuberous breasts.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Insurance and Breast Lift Surgery

Medical insurance pays for what THEY not you consider necessary and only if that benefit was listed as part of your individual plan. Some plans do not include breast reduction or reconstruction services. 
I have never heard of correction of breast asymmetry or of tuberous breasts as being covered by a regular insurance company. You are of course free to call them and plead your case you may get them to change their mind but it will be a long shot. 
Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Tuberous Breast Deformities and Insurance Coverage

Despite what sounds like a significant degree of asymmetry, it is unlikely that you will be able to obtain insurance coverage to improve your appearance. Typical procedures to address tuberous breast deformities include breast augmentations and/or breast lifts. Most people seem to have to some degree of breast asymmetry; unfortunately, it sounds like you have more asymmetry than the average person. I would recommend meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what options would help you reach your aesthetic goals. 

Ashley B. Robey, MD

No, insurance companies do not cover breast lifts since they are cosmetic procedures. Not being able to nurse is not considered a medical problem for lifts. Insurance companies mainly cover breast biopsies, some breast reductions, and breast reconstruction after mastectomy for cancer.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast

I have never heard of any insurance company covering correction of tuberous breast.  This is a cosmetic concern and not functional.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person exam.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Tuberous breasts - will insurance cover the surgery?

Thank you for asking about your tuberous breasts.
  • I am  so sorry you have this problem -
  • Unfortunately I have not had insurance cover tuberous breasts -
  • Their answer is that it is cosmetic - and often specifically excluded in insurance policies.
  • The only way to be sure is to contact your insurer about your specific policy and find out if insurance will cover repair of severe breast asymmetry.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Insurance for correction of tuberous breasts

Fortunately, there are now excellent procedures to correct tuberous breasts. Usually some combination of breast implants, mastopexy (or breast uplift) and sometimes breast reduction will do the trick. Unfortunately, most insurance companies consider this type of surgery to be “cosmetic” and will not cover the costs. I am sorry to report I have not had very good luck with BC/BS in my patients. 

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon