Could it be the muscle or capsular contracture?

I actually went to my ps and he kinda felt around felt both and said capsular contracture? He kind of grabbed it and it popped. It feels fine from side to side now but still firm if you grab up and down? But how can he be so sure without ultrasound etc? I have read about saline implants getting infected with fungus & now I am scared? I do tend to think the worse. I have no other symptoms other than it hurts to lay on it and it feels more firmer harder than the other one even after being popped

Capsular contracture after breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, capsular contracture is a very unfortunate condition that may develop after breast augmentation surgery. The cause is an enigma and we have some suspicions that it may be caused by subclinical bacterial infection, or excessive bleeding during or after surgery. The treatment is also complicated and some PS will through the kitchen sink at it trying to make it go away. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. Ultrasound, asthma medications, reoperating, scar tissue removal, changing to a different breast pocket, breast implant exchange and even implant removal have been suggested to treat it. The other problem is that it may go away after all of these heroic efforts only to have it return. In other cases, one of these may work and it does not come back. It is a tough problem.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

To avoid capsular contracture...

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

To avoid capsular contraction I recommend using microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implants,
these next-generation implants have shown a very low incidence of capsular contracture.
Otherwise, I do not recommend breast massage after a BA,
to prevent the implant dislocation, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, and also to avoid pain and breast swelling after breast massages.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Capsular Contracture

From what you describe, it sounds more like capsular contracture. That diagnosis is usually made by feeling the breast and comparing the stiffness of a tight capsule to one that is more normal. No radiological exam is necessary. Luckily there are things we can do to treat capsular contracture. Speak with your plastic surgeon and follow up with their recommendations. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry that you are having these issues after your breast augmentation. Capsular contracture is most commonly diagnosed through an in-person examination and not through radiological testing.  From your narrative, it sounds as if this is what is taking place with your implants, and though disappointing, can be treated.  It does not sound as if there is any reason to be concerned about an infection, so I would not be worried about a possible fungus.  Keep close follow up with your surgeon, they will help get you through this implant issue. 

Capsular contracture?

Capsular contracture is a clinical diagnosis that can be made by physical exam.  No ultrasound or other help from a radiologist is needed.  If your PS says it's a CC, he or she is probably correct.  The "pop" you felt was more than likely a small tear in the capsule.  Follow your PS's suggestions as to what to do now.