How can I check the credentials of a plastic surgeon in the Dominican Republic?

Dominican Surgeons

You should always go with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon...that is one that is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and preferably a member or candidate member of ASPS, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

There are so many great American surgeons to choose from. While getting a cheap price and a possible trip to the tropics may seem great, the fact is you have  no idea what standards are being maintained. You get surgery from some who is not even a doctor. 

People return all the time from these trips with bad results and bad complications. Then, they have to see a surgeon in the United States and pay for further surgeries or care. True success stories are rare. I see patients all of the time that regret surgery they had in tropical or exotic destinations.

Plus, your risk of DVT and pulmonary embolism which can be life threatening is dramatically increased when you fly after surgery.

Bottom line, see a surgeon in your country, the cost is not that much more and you will be safe. It is worth the money when you are talking about your body and safety. Take a vacation some other time and enjoy the tropics when you can enjoy the beach and waterspouts, not when you are in recovery!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

In the Dominican Republic, just as any other country, there are associations that group the different medical specialists . 
The Dominican Plastic Surgeons Society  members list , is available the sodocipre website.

Best wishes 

Katherine Feliz Camilo, MD

DON'T!!!!

Medical tourism is fraught with disaster as you have no recourse to follow up or treatment of potential complications. You do not have adequate knowledge of their training or ability for treatment after surgery unless you are willing to stay in the country or fly back later.

This is surgery and your health and well-being are on the line. Are you willing to jeopardize that for a few dollars saved? 

You would be better off looking for an ABMS certified Plastic Surgeon in the US with a great reputation and board certified by the ASPS and ASAPS credentialed working in an AAAASF certified surgery facility to do your surgery. You will get a cheaper rate, but still have the confidence that they are US doctors that uphold to US standards.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Checking credentials of an international surgeon

I don't know how you can check credentials in another country. You don't know how to negotiate the system in another country this is was important really to stay within the United States. You can easily negotiate this system much better because you are familiar with it

Stay in the States

Your safety is critical. Complications happen and my patients need me during their postoperative course. Sometimes even months later. You are worth it. Don't jeopardize your health to safe money! Good luck

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Check the credentials of a plastic surgeon in the Dominican Republic

Bottom line is have your surgery performed in the USA by a board certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist in an accredited surgery center. Complications happen in the best situations, and you want to be near your plastic surgeon if they do and not on another continent. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

How can I check the credentials of a plastic surgeon in the Dominican Republic

Often times people try to save money on plastic surgery by undergoing procedures outside of the country... Then , if the complications arise they seek a surgeon in the US to fix it.. end up spending more money to fix the problem... With that said-- my recommendation is: if you live in the US-- seek an experienced Board Certified PS  here.

Credentials

I am just curious as to why you would want to know.  if you don't know the guy why not stay here.  remember you get what you pay for in life

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Training and credentialing vary greatly from country to country. In the US, there are stringent guidelines and testing done to obtain board certification and membership in plastic surgery specialty societies like ASPS and ASAPS. Some European, South American, and Asian countries have equally stringent regulations, but other countries have little or no means of verifying training or credentialing.
there are many posts on RealSelf from women who have had serious and life threatening complications overseas and have difficulty finding doctors in the US to care for the complications since all of the legal risk gets assumed by the US doctor.

Impossible! There is no certifying agency for DR ?Plastic Surgeons... Best to stay in USA always a safer bet. ///////////