Shape Eyes with Blepharoplasty?

My eyes (photo on left) are very tired looking all the time. I also feel they're incredibly un-proportionate with the rest of my face. Is it possible to change my eye shape to the one on the right? Obviously I'm not asking for HER eyes...but is it possible to get more almond shaped, larger and less tired looking eyes with blepharoplasty?

Doctor Answers 7

Changing the shape of your eyes with surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your photos are very helpful.  There are two main features that make the models eyes so lovely: 1. They have a slight upward slant laterally and  2.  They are wide set.  Oh, and not to mention she has professionally applied makeup and a skilled fashion photographer!

The set of the eyes is determined by her skeletal structure.  Eyes can be moved closer or further apart in patients with severe craniofacial defects but it is not done for cosmetic purposes. 

The slant of the eye can be changed with canthopexy or canthoplasty.  This involves either tightening up the lateral corner just a little or taking down the attachment to the eye socket and realigning it.  You can similate this in the mirror by pulling the corner up just a little bit.  A very small change in the angle can really change the expression of the eyes.

If your eyelids are weighted down with fat and skin, you may benefit from a blepharoplasty to trim these elements or even a brow lift to uncrowd the upper lid.

It's good you're not asking from HER eyes and that you understand limitations of surgery.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Seattle Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

Changing Eye Shape with Blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While your eye shape can be modified with blepharoplasty, please don't expect to be magically transformed into another person.  There are factors such as your underlying anatomy, tissue quality, bone structure, etc which affect how your look and can limit the possibilities of surgery.  That said, surgery can be amazing and you should definitely have the procedure if you want to.  Good luck.

Eye shape change

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I doubt you can have eyes exactly like the photos you posted, but a slight almond appearance can be created with a canthopexy or canthoplasty. Although I do canthopexy surgery all the time, I try to only support the lower lid and do not exaggerate the appearance. 

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

A good deal of care is advised here.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear In Houston

Even with green contact lens, no one will be able to transform your eyes to the second eye pair.  Would you benefit from a thoughtful and carefully performed Asian double fold surgery?  No question.  However it may be that you might benefit from lateral canthal reconstruction to change the outer canthal angle as well.  I would be very careful in shopping for an eyelid surgery.  Your risk of getting a very unsatisfactory eyelid surgery is high.  You need to find someone who has a very good handle on Asian eyelid surgery.  There are only a handful of surgeons who are likely going to be able to help you accomplish your goals.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Shape Eyes with Blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes there can be a slight shape change to the eyes with this operation. Seek boarded surgeons in your area. Than you can determine if this is what you want to achieve. 


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have typical asian eyes and there is no upper eyelid fold. The surgical treatment involves creating the upper lid fold. Some plastic surgeon are more experienced in this surgery .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 154 reviews

Altering eye shape with blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree with the other responses to your question.  While surgery will open up your eyes and change the shape, you should seek an oculoplastic surgeon for a consultation.  

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.