When can I get back to my desk job after a Breast Augmentation?

My consultation is next week but I want to have a date in mind for when I can schedule my augmentation. I am seeking below chest muscle silicone implants which can change per doctor recommendations).

Returning to Desk Job after your Breast Augmentation

Most patients can return to a sitting desk job 3-5 days after their Breast Augmentation Surgery. I recommend to my post-surgical patients to use their arms AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE and keep elbows to your sides. Do NOT lift more than 2lbs. Do NOT push or pull yourself up with your arms. Do NOT lift arms above your head. Any repetitive motion or lifting more than 2 pounds will negatively affect your result long term. If your job doesn't require any of those, you should be fine just lifting the phone to answer calls. I would suggest using the elevator if there is one in the building where you work, so you don't over exhaust yourself. Best of Luck!

Return to work

Hello, the majority of my patients who do desk work will go back to their regular job within 1 week after surgery.  Your plastic surgeon may have different recommendations based on a detailed history and physical examination.

Generally in my practice I suggest taking a full week off work after a breast augmentation. It is important to remember after surgery you will only be able to limited activities no heavy lifting no rigorous exercise generally for 3 weeks. The week after surgery you may still be on medication so it is not advised to drive while on those type of medications.  Keep in mind that you may have some dressing that are visible a couple of weeks after surgery so if that is going to be problematic at your work consider that as well. Best of luck.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Hi there, thanks for posting your question. Typically, most patients are able to resume their desk job at 3-5 days post op. This would be a great question to ask your surgeon directly. Best to you. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Desk job after breast implant augmentation

Most of our patients can resume a desk job within 2-3 days after breast augmentation, with the pain management techniques that we use.

Work after Breast Aug

Thank you for your question. Generally , I let my patients to be back on light duty after 3 to 5 days. if it s a desk job then can go little early. but best to follow your PS advice.Good luck for your consultation.

Breast augmentation and work

I allow my patients in most cases to go back to light duty 3-5 days after surgery if they are comfortable. Best to always ask your surgeon.

Back To Work After Breast Augmentation

In my practice I allow patients to do whatever they feel comfortable doing. Sitting at a desk as work does not require much physical activity so as far as I am concerned, from a medical point of view, you could go back the next day. It has been demonstrated that the sooner you get moving after breast augmentation the faster your recovery.
From a more practical point of view, surgical pain is usually at its worst during the first three days. Thereafter, although there is discomfort, it is much less. So certainly after three days you would probably be comfortable enough to go to work.
The other thing that  should be considered is whether you are on narcotic pain medication. They will alter your thinking and make you tired.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Some recoup time is necessary after #BreastAugmentation, but no more than a few days.

In my practice, we try to schedule most of our patients at the end of the week for surgery. If a patient has breast augmentation on a Thursday or Friday, they shouldn't need more than the weekend to recover. As long as the position is a sedentary desk job, they should be fine to return to work on Monday - even with a few flights of stairs. However, the most essential restriction will continue to apply for several weeks after surgery - NO LIFTING. This restriction is especially important for those who have implants placed underneath the muscle.

I prefer that my patients plan at least a week off work even when they have a sedentary desk job. You need stress free time to recover from surgery and anesthesia. If having a submuscular breast augmentation I suggest 10 days. Don't believe all of the internet noise about 24 hour recovery. Surgeons who advertize that have never had the operation!