5'9" and Lean & Atheletic. Desiring B cup. 255 cc or 285 cc? (photos)

I am 5'9", 130 lb, wear 34A but do not fill, BWD 12 cm, band width 33.5". BA is scheduled for 5/20. Desire small implant for active lifestyle & natural look. After trying sizers twice (everything felt & looked much bigger & heavier than I anticipated) & reviewing photos of desired results, my board certified, highly rated PS & I selected Sientra Textured Round Moderate Projection 255 cc implants. Now home & looking at before/after photos I am feeling I should opt for the next size up, 285 cc.

Choosing implants

Thank you for the question. 30 cc is not that big of a difference in implant size.  The choice of implant size and type would best be done through an in-person examination. There are a lot of factors that can affect your choice like the desired end result, breast tissue, body measurements, and the like. Bra sizes can be better determined once all of these information have been gathered. It would always be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full evaluation for your concerns. Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Sientra Implant Size Quandary

It sounds like the biggest decision has been made: to go ahead with a breast augmentation. I know you will be happy. Your question is the one that seems to take the most mental energy prior to a breast augmentation.
First, let me say that you have chosen a great implant. Sientra’s textured implants are tremendous and considering how thin you are, in my opinion, they are by far and away the best choice for you. They will have less rippling and feel softer than most of the other implants.

In terms of size, I always feel that if you are torn and are considering the bigger implant then go with that. You will always be wondering otherwise and the difference is not very much. Whenever we have patients stuck on their decision they always say they are glad they chose the bigger implant after the surgery.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Try on a sizer

The number one regret, if patients have any, about their surgery is either that they waited too long before having it done or they should have gone larger. However, I suggest you try on a sizer in the larger size to see if you like what you see. 

BBA

This is always a difficult decision for some. In my opinion, the best thing to do is have a thorough sizing session. I provide my patients with a range of about 3-4 implants that are appropriate for their specific measurements. I then have them try these implants on in a special sizing bra. With this process, my patients have been able to choose their own implants. I have found this to be the best method for implant sizing. Be sure to see a board certified PS in your area. They should be willing to spend the time with you doing this. Best of luck!

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

A couple of quick thoughts:

The difference between the two sizes is two tablespoons of volume - this is not a whole lot, even with your lean athletic frame. Generally when deciding between two sizes, I recommend going with the larger. I personally have seen only one patient in my career who wishes they went with a smaller size. I can't say the same for the opposite. The problem is that if at a year after surgery, you said to yourself "I wish I went with the bigger size. I am going to go back and get a bigger implant." At this point, you would likely need to go with an implant of about 100 cc in volume greater for you to really appreciate a difference. Side by side, the 30 cc difference will be difficult to see.

This gets back to the general question of "What is the right size implant for my body/" In order to achieve an ideal outcome, you need to custom fit the implants to your body. Part of the way to custom fit the implants is to take measurements, including breast width, height, tissue stretch, and measure the thickness of the tissues in the upper breast area. So the only data I have to go on is the base width. Assuming average measurements in the other areas, you are probably in the right ball park for a natural appearing result. Talk to your surgeon about the other parameters and determine an indeal implant size for your particular tissues/measurements. If the 255/285 is in the ideal range, my recommendation would be to go with the 285.

Good luck.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

Whenever my patients have narrowed it down to one implant size I ask them the following question:

Are you more worried about being too big or more worried about wishing you had gone bigger?  If it is the former use the smaller size. If it is the latter use the larger size.

Bear in mind, in 17 and 1/2 years of practice I can count on one hand the number of patients who ended up feeling they were too big. It is almost alway that they wish they had gone bigger.

Find a surgeon with a Vectra 3-D camera. This technology can take a 3-D image of your breasts and simulate any implant size and shape on your frame.  Go to the link below to find a surgeon with this technology.

5'9" and Lean & Athletic. Desiring B cup. 255 cc or 285 cc?

From your photos and dimensions, I believe you are in the right ball park regarding the implant size options you are considering.  The Sientra round moderate projection implants are a good choice for you and I don't think you will make a mistake by choosing either the 255 cc or the 285 cc size.  

I have often seen patients agonize between a 30 cc size difference and it is truly not worth loosing sleep over.   When taking your own breast tissue, of approx 100 cc to 150 cc into consideration, the volume difference between the two sizes is less than 8%.  Many patients' natural breasts have a size discrepancy greater than this percentage and don't realize that one of their breasts is larger than the other.  

If you tried the implants on in a bra, remember the implants, after the surgery, will be under your breast tissue, and thus, will feel less heavy and will have less projection and seem slightly smaller than they did in the bra.  But, don't despair, regardless of the final size you choose, I believe, you will be pleased with the result.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

5'9" and Lean & Atheletic. Desiring B cup. 255 cc or 285 cc?

I'm very glad you posted your pictures. There are many patients that have similar looking breasts and are svelte like you. In your case , I would definitely recommend that chose silicone gel implants. You have little breast tissue and if you go with saline you will experience severe rippling or wrinkling. I currently use smooth silicone gels and in your case they would be high profile and probably be in the range of 255 to 275. I don't feel you'll be able to much bigger without having the "fake" look. If that's the look that you desire then it would be fine to go big. I personally like a very natural looking breast.

Listen to your surgeon and realize, he/she have done many. I don't use the Sientra implant simply because I want my patient's breasts to not only look natural but to move naturally. Good luck.

At your height, and with very little natural breast volume, I doubt the 255cc implant will quite get you to the B cup look. It will probably take a little more, but without an exam we can't give as good a recommendation as the surgeon you have seen.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Increase Size

Thank you for your pictures. I cannot comment on Sientra implants since I do not use that type. If you feel comfortable at a certain volume during consultation you should increase the final volume in surgery to achieve your desired result.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS,FACS