Lip injections: two birds, one stone for post-hemangioma removal asymmetry and enlarged orbicularis oris? (Photos)

I was born with a marble-sized hemangioma in my upper lip on the right side. I had it removed when I was three or four without complications. Eventually, I noticed that one side of my lip was smaller than the other, requiring me to constantly push my lips together to keep them closed. Incidently, my lower lip juts out far more than my upper even though I have a slight overbite. If I had injections, and no longer needed to purse my lips together, would the muscle atrophy and shrink in size?

Fillers for the lips

Thank you for your question modernsprite. Fillers such as Juvederm can be used to enhance the lips. If the fillers are placed in the right position, the fullness of the lips can be restored, as can the pout, symmetry, and ratio of size of the upper lip to the lower lip. The muscle around the lip (orbicularis oris) is not affected by fillers. Instead Botox can be used to address this muscle. A small amount of Botox can be placed above and below the lips. This can slightly help with vertical lines around the lip and provide a slight pout. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician