Labiaplasty. Should I do it or not?

I already paid for it and it's in 3 weeks. I stopped drinking and smoking cigs a couple days ago! I've been chugging down water and eating pineapple and veggies and everything. I'm very scared of the healing risks! Someone please help!

Its normal to experience anxiety before your procedure.  Don't hesitate to reach out to your surgeon for reassurance.  In my practice I am on call buy my practice manager is on call for situations such as yours.  She can be contacted via text message or phone calls at any time to address any concern or worry before and after the procedure. This really seems to help the patient cope with their anxiety.  Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon with a great reputation and that specializes in labiaplasty procedures. 

Should I Proceed with the Labiaplasty?

Thank you for posting your interesting question. It is normal to have some anxiety in anticipation of having cosmetic plastic surgery like a labiaplasty. For optimal healing, it is alway a good idea to stop smoking 2-4 weeks prior to surgery. Fortunately, a woman's labia minora and vagina have an excellent blood supply and the tissue heals quite nicely. You will feel less anxious if you have the procedure performed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty. Make sure that you feel comfortable with your plastic surgeon and have seen dozens of their before and after labiaplasty photographs. If the size, asymmetry, or hyper pigmented edges of your labia minora have prevented you from feeling comfortable since you were a teenager, then I would recommend a labiaplsty. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Thank you for sharing.  I must commend you on being so proactive in preparing for your surgery.  Great Job! and hopefully you will never pick up another cigarette again :))It is quite normal to feel anxious and even doubt your decision prior to any surgery but especially one that is elective and often a little painful in the immediate recovery phase.If you have selected your surgeon well and feel comfortable then I think you are doing all the right stuff to optimize your healing and results.Best of luck.

Labiaplasty decision

My advice to you, as to all of my patients, is that you have to be 110% ready for surgery especially if it is elective.  Weigh the recovery time and small chance of untoward events with the satisfaction you will get afterward.  You will always feel relieved after it is done and you have had some time to heal, but it is difficult to anticipate how that will feel.  Consider if you have been thinking of it for a while also.  And you would want a surgeon who is experienced and comfortable with vulvar and pelvic surgery.  You have until the time of surgery to decide, good luck with that decision!

A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.
Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Cosmetic Surgery Is A Personal Decision

Cosmetic surgery is a personal decision.  If you have any concerns, then meeting with your surgeon is a good idea in order to review your goals and the planned surgery.  If you have doubts then seeking a second opinion may assist you in making a decision.  There are several cosmetic surgeons in your area and in the surrounding states that you may want to consider for a second opinion.  Good luck.     Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Boardman, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

The best thing you can do to improve your healing is to quit smoking. Your should wait 6 weeks to 6 months after smoking cessation before you do any elective cosmetic surgery. Then consider a posterior wedge resection technique for the best aesthetic results (see link below). Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Labiaplasty Healing Risks

Hello,Choosing to undergo any elective surgery is a very personal decision which comes with some risks. It is important to select an experienced and caring surgeon who can help answer all of your concerns honestly. Being well informed and confident in your Plastic Surgeon should resolve your anxiety and help you decide whether or not to proceed.Warm regards,Dr. Pedy GanchiVillage Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

The decision....

The decision to have surgery is a personal one. There are risks which good technique can lessen but not eliminate. If you have questions why not postpone the operation and meet with your surgeon to talk about it?
Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty satisfaction outcomes

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy)  then experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter. Labiaplasty, when done properly, carries one on the highest satisfaction rates of all plastic cosmetic surgical procedures - 98% improved sexual satisfaction rate in one scientific study i was involved with in 2009. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD