Can Botox help light nasolabial folds around the mouth?

OK, I have light nasolabial folds--actually they are more like lines around the outer corners of the mouth. I have a habit of making a crooked smirk, which means on one side the line is a bit deeper. I also make a tight lipped frown. Whenever I remember, I instantly relax the muscles, but I catch myself doing it constantly. I heard that Botox could "soften" but not remove these lines. Also I though it could paralyze the muscles that cause me to make that frowny face?

Possibly help?

If the corner of the mouth has turned down (sounds like your describing that), then a combination of Botox or Dysport with a dermal filler will be a good option. The actual laugh lines when you smile are best treated with mid-facial and laugh line fillers and, generally, not with Botox. Best, Dr. ALDO

Nasolabial folds

It's difficult to answer your question without pictures, however botox is not indicated in that area. Fillers would be more appropriate.

Botox to soften Nasolabial folds

Without a photo it's hard for me to give you precise information on the area you describe. However, I believe most likely you would benefit with a filler in that area and not botox. Always seek treatments with a BC PS or Derm in your area for these matters. Best of Luck. Hope that helps. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Botox for nasolabial folds?

Botox is only FDA approved for frown lines between your eyebrows, and crows feet. It is useful for relaxing the muscles of expression that produce these lines in the upper part of the face. It is not useful to fill a gap, as in nasolabial folds, which need, you guessed it right, fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse or Belotero. Actual nasolabial folds do much better than the lines around the corners of your mouth that appear during a smirk, as there is so much movement of muscles in this area; you may not be as happy as you would be with actual nasolabial fold treatment with fillers. 

Ram Chandra, MD
Edison Physician

Fillers Work Well For Fine Lines Around The Mouth

To clear up common confusions, several basic rules for nonsurgical facial rejuvenation are order.  Botox (as well as the other muscle relaxing neuromodulaters, Dysport and Xeomin) are intended to soften overactivity (not to freeze or paralyze completely) of certain muscles of facial expression, particularly the forehead worry lines, crow's feet and frown lines (as well as certain others). It is not intended for treating certain crucial muscles, such as those responsible for allowing a normal smile. Volumizing fillers are used for providing projection, lift and bulk to those areas lacking these things from age, sun damage and mechanical stresses. And finally, fillers are useful for elevating and smoothing fine lines, such as what you seem to be describing here, surrounding the lower portion of the mouth or the verticial, "bar code" lines above and below mouth, as well as crinkling of the lower third of the cheeks. You would do well to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician who can assess your particular needs and recommend a customized treatment plan that best fits those particular needs. Make sure to ask to see his/her before and after photos before agreeing to proceed. Good luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Fillers for nasolabial folds

Thank you for your question beklynn. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Botox will relax muscles and address wrinkles that get deeper when one uses the muscles. Nasolabial folds are seen at rest and are not associated with muscle contraction. Instead they form as a result of volume loss. Therefore to address it one needs to restore volume using fillers such as Voluma and Juvederm. Botox can be used around the mouth for other things such as the gummy smile, providing a pout to the lips, and elevating the corners of the mouth. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Lines around the mouth need filler

These lines are treated with filler and not Botox. As you said, they will improve but not resolve with treatment. An HA filler is your best option. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox and nasolabial folds

It is possible for Botox to improve mild nasolabial folds (lines) but most doctors are not familiar with the technique. Be sure you see a board certified dermatologist orplastic surgeon and discuss it with him

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Nasolabial folds

Thanks for your question. The lines that form around the mouth are very common and can be found in any age group. This area of the face is typically addressed with filler to fill in the lines and hallows. Because the muscles that are responsible for smiling are around the mouth, Botox is not recommended as it would be very disfiguring. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers are your best option for nasolabial folds and lines around mouth

Fillers are your best option for treating nasolabial folds and lines around the mouth. Botox could be added to soften vertical lip lines and to help with any downturn at the corners of the mouth. Fillers work well for marionette lines as well. I recommend an in-person consultation with an experienced injector to come up with a complete treatment plan.