How long will Botox last on my jaw if I don't clench my jaw anymore?

I have a quick question I would like to try Botox I was always a skinny person and decided to lift and take weight gainers I have very tough anxiety so through my freshman year of college I clenched my jaw during the day over 200 times a day so my masseters became very bulky and I despise the look I have a wide face now and a missing jaw line if I get Botox and stop clenching will I regain the muscle I have now when the Botox wears off?

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question metsfan86. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face it can be placed in the masseter to reduce the size of the muscle. This can take several sessions to see visible results. The masseter muscle, just like other muscles in the body, gets stronger and larger when it is used a lot. Similarly if a muscle is not used a lot it will get smaller. Anxiety and stress can cause people to clench the teeth. If this is the case Botox can be used in the masseter, but the underlying stress should be addressed. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox is truly a wonder drug!

Botox is truly a wonder drug!  Immensely popular for helping to smooth facial wrinkles, Botox is also quite helpful with so many other conditions, such as migraine headaches, excessive armpit sweating, and overactive jaw muscles.  Overactive jaw muscles are often involved in TMJ syndrome, teeth grinding and chronic headaches.  The muscles can also make the face appear wide, and the jaw too square-like.  A simple 5 - 10 minute Botox treatment in the office will often result in some 3 - 6 months of effective relief of these issues.

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us.

Clenching should not impact the length of time that your treatment lasts. Botox will not last forever, so you will need to work with your surgeon to layout a comprehensive and longitudinal plan to maintain the results you are achieving. 

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

-Dr. Constantino Mendieta

Botox for jaw clenching

When applied to the masseter muscles, Botox tends to last for 3-6 months in my experience. However, this can vary for some patients. I have seen patients obtain noticeable improvement for even a year, though this is uncommon. After the Botox wears off, the muscle should eventually return to its former size, depending on if you are still clenching your jaw. With these treatments, I recommend you see someone who is a specialist in injectable treatments. This is the best way to maximize your outcome. 

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for masseter hypertrophy

Thank you for asking about your Botox.

• How often you clench your jaw should not affect how long the Botox lasts.
  • I suggest you have a first treatment with a standard dose of 20 units in each side.
  • The masseter is a large muscle - the effect may wear off in 6 - 8 weeks the first time.
  • Once the right dose for you is determined, it should last 3 - 4 months on average.
  • Some reports from Asia suggest that the maximum thinning of the muscle takes 6 months to show up after the first dose. I have not seen that in my practice.
  • But results vary - and the Botox does break up the anxiety- muscle clenching loop.
  • If you keep up the Botox, you are likely to find you need less Botox, less often.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Yes you will

Thanks for the question.  Botox is not permanent, and if you stop using it, then the muscles will eventually recover.  Now, I have seen, and there are reports, that after prolonged used of Botox for jaw clenching, the mental/physical cycle can be broken.  If this happens, sometimes patients will no longer need Botox and can "wean off of it" over time without having the clenching come back and the muscles getting too bulky.  

Hope this helps

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Masseter reduction with botox

Thank you for your question. Your masseter muscles will return to normal after the Botox wears off. I have noticed, however, for patients that have been doing Botox for extended periods of time the duration of each treatment tends to last a little bit longer. You can tell when the Botox is wearing off, by the force of your clenching muscles returning.

Botox and Jaw Contouring

Botox lasts 2-3 months whether or not you clench your jaw after injections.  I suggest you go to an expert.   Best, Dr. Emer.

Masseter Reduction with Botox

Using Botox on your masseter can help narrow your jawline, but once the effects disappear (typically 3-6 months, avg 3-4), you are back to your pre-Botox appearance. Theoretically with repeated use of Botox, the masseter  muscle will atrophy (or shrink), making the effects more long lasting. But for most patients, they still need to use Botox. 

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello metsfan86,

Botox can help to slim the face from an over active masseter muscle.  It usually takes several treatments to get to that result.  As far as not having the muscle return, in theory if you quit clenching your jaw so much then the bulk of the muscle should not return.  However, it is possible that if you don't continue to receive maintenance injections that it could return to the same size.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon