3 weeks post-op, breasts seem low after having a Lift and Implants, will settling make any difference with this?

I am 3 weeks post op. I had a breast lift and implants. I feel like some of the swelling has subsided and my breast are looking lower and smaller than I thought they would be. I know they are not settled yet, but will settling make any difference with this?

Normal healing process

At 3 weeks, it is still early in the healing process after breast augmentation with a lift. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change. It can take 4-6 months to see your final results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeon for his or her evaluation and advice. Good luck 

Dean Vistnes,M.D. 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery 

San Francsico Bay Area 

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

The Overall Healing Process

Understanding the Healing Process

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the  initial surgical fee.

Now, since it has been about three weeks there is a chance that your implants are not settled into place and that there may be issues with swelling, bruising, scars or other healing processes. If you find yourself concerned at all it is always best to visit your surgeon for a follow-up.

Swelling , some advices:

Thanks for the question. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Lift and implants

Initially the breasts may appear larger because of swelling and because they are often higher on the chest due to muscle spasm and swelling. They will not likely look larger with time.