Did I damage my rhinoplasty results after singing?

I had rhinoplasty done 9 days ago. My cast was taken off 2 days ago. A lot of work was done my bridge was lifted with cartilage and my nostrils were narrowed significantly. I am very happy with the results. This afternoon the front of my nose is slightly more swollen than it was morning. I sang with my piano and I am worried the movement of my mouth altered my results. Is this possible? Can I massage or ice the skin next to my nose to help? Should I limit facial movement?

Singing after rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your procedure. While rhinoplasty may affect your singing voice, singing is not likely to affect your rhinoplasty results. Post-op swelling that you're describing is not uncommon and may take up to 6 months to completely resolve. Considering that you had your procedure done only 10 days ago, I would advise to give it time and let the nose "settle" as you are still going through a recovery process.  As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain an individualized medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi. 

Early increases in swelling

Early in the postoperative period, the "plumbing" system that generally takes away everyday swelling is not back online. Any excess activity that increases blood flow to the face may lead to "new" swelling that may take time to dissipate. All new swelling should be treated with cold compresses for the first couple of days.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Brookfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Singing after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.It is important to consult with your surgeon in regards to your post op activities as he knows what he did and therefore will know your exact limitations. I would wait to ice or massage the skin until your doctor recommends you to do so but in the meantime, yes i would limit facial movements.

Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Will singing affect my rhinoplasty results?

Thank you for sharing your questions. It is unlikely that singing will result in any negative outcomes if all you see is some swelling. You are very early in the healing period and your swelling will be somewhat variable depending on your activites and diet.  Avoiding the extremes of mouth movement and pressing on the base of the nose is often recommend if the bottom (caudal) portion of the septum has been relocated and resutured in the midline. If this area was altered, swelling would not be the most obvious finding. I hope this helps and you love your results. If you have any questions or concerns, you should reach out to your surgeon. Take care.

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op swelling

it is too early in the post operative period to be able to distinguish slight asymmetries from what can be just due the effect of swelling, taping, cast.... Remember it will take 1-2 years for the skin and soft tissue of the nose to contract and redrape to give you the final results.

Jacob Sedgh, MD

You should be fine!

You are very early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Swelling of nose

You are going to have a lot of swelling after rhinoplasty.  Best to be patient with the results........

Swelling after rhinoplasty

To add to the excellent answers to this question, I have a few points:-remember that while healing during the first several days (while you have your cast on) is very important, the remainder of the healing process after the cast comes off is equally as important. 
-swelling for the first several weeks after the surgery is very common and can increase and decrease.-certain activities may temporarily increase the swelling of your nose (singing, running, doing hand stands, etc.)  As long as you keep your activity to moderate levels, this is not harmful to the healing.-in general, icing or massaging the nose at this point is not necessary.  Leave it alone and it will heal!-finally, remember that healing of the nose after surgery is a long process and you will see small subtle changes over the next several months.  Many surgeons consider full healing from a rhinoplasty to take up to 12 months. Follow up closely with your surgeon if you experience any swelling or other changes that are concerning. He/she is your best resource and advocate both during and after your surgery.

Best of luck in your recovery!

Kyle T. Yamamoto, MD
Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recommend Following up with your surgeon

Delayed swelling after cast removal is completely normal.  Also, the nose will swell with any activity for a few weeks.  Trauma is the most important thing to avoid.  

Karan Dhir, MD

Damage after Rhinoplasty?

Thank you for your question!  After having a rhinoplasty, your nose can swell and then settle even with the smallest effort.  It would make sense that after singing, you could have an increase in swelling.  Most likely, you did not permanently damage your nose by this.  However, do take note if you have an increase in swelling after your perform an activity.  This probably means you may stressed your self and the soft tissues of the nose.  I would also discuss your concerns with your surgeon, and with time these changes in your nose will subside.  I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon