A slight hump developing on the top of my bridge two weeks after rhinoplasty? (photos)

My surgery was done two weeks ago. My bridge was lifted and nostrils were narrowed significantly. Today my brother pointed out that my nose looked like it had a little reddish hump and I was shocked to hear it as it was looking wonderfully sharp after taking off my cast. Today was the first day I did not take the ibuprofen medicine- or maybe I wasnt careful about what I ate could that have caused swolleness? Did I damage my results somehow or is it just swollen at the top today? :(

Slight hump 2 weeks post op

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and possibly some asymmetries early in the post-rhinoplasty recovery phase.  Best of luck!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery - hump?

At 2 weeks, you are still early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The swelling during this time is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Rhinoplasty and swelling

Swelling is normal after rhinoplasty and can last a year or longer. If you are worried about a bump, etc.. then speak with your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty 2 weeks post op

Thank you for your question & photographs.It is important to consult with your surgeon with any questions or concerns you may have as they know your medical history and surgery best. I would schedule an appointment to have a physical examination of your nose performed by your surgeon. Your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and delicate nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Swelling over bridge after rhinoplasty

It is common to experience swelling over the bridge of the nose after rhinoplasty if a hump was reduced.  It is important to have close follow up with your surgeon at this point.  They may be able to guide you in performing pressure exercises to the bridge to help reduce pinpoint areas of swelling.

Swelling of the nose following rhinoplasty

If your nose looked good over the past two weeks then it is likely that this is simply transient swelling of the nasal bridge.  I would suggest contacting your surgeon as they may want to see you to possibly inject steroids into the dorsum where the swelling is most pronounced.  It is quite possible that the swelling will resolve on its own without any intervention.  

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD, FACS
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon