What would work on my severely sun damaged skin?

I had severe sunburn damage in Florida approx 15 yrs. My concerns are redness inflammation scarring. I am now 40 yrs old.I think my sun damage is deeper and not superficial so I'm not sure wether creams would do anything or am I wasting money? Would like quick results and am on a budget. Makeup only masks the problem. I wish I didn't need to wear foundation ever again. Thank you much appreciated

Severe Sun Damage

Severe sun damage is one of my favorite things to treat because it is so beautiful to see someone's skin so beautiful.  Fraxel is a fabulous way of reversing the sun damage.  We call it the "magic eraser" in our office.  I think it is an amazing laser and we have seen terrific results.  Please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in lasers for the best results.

Forever Young BBL for Sun Damaged and Aging Skin

There is good science with 10 year data showing that Forever Young BBL treatments can reverse the signs of aging skin, especially from sun damage. Sciton BBL will treat the superficial and deeper layers of the skin.

Creams and lotions tend to work only temporarily and superficially.

To be sure, see two or more board certified and experienced plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

A consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be the first step....

You need a consultation to start. Given that you are 40, a medical grade skin care line such as NIA24 would be a good place to start. We typically recommend at least a 6-8 week regimen prior to any type of laser treatment to the face as it helps to prepare the skin and aids in better results.

Kenneth A. Marshall, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Sun Damaged Skin Treatments

Without photos, you really will need a proper evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist.  I would see a doctor with experience in laser and light treatments, as you likely will be a good candidate for topical skin care in additional to laser or light treatments.  Photodynamic therapy works to help rid the skin of sun damage while also providing some cosmetic results.  However, fractional laser (Fraxel or ActiveFX) can do more for you in terms of skin texture and tone while also treated any sun damage/pre-cancerous lesions.  You have many options including deep peels and photofacial, but without an appropriate evaluation with photography there is no way to determine the best course of action for you.  For now, proper sun screen and make an appointment to see a cosmetic dermatologist quickly.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Sundamage treatment

Hi Optimist,
You may want to consider photodynamic treatment which is a combination of Levulan a topical photosensitizer that concentrates in precancerous cells and either blue light or intense pulsed light as the activating light source. This procedure leads to photochemical destruction of pre-cancers and improvement in background chronic sundamage. The result is better skin coloration and texture as well as a reduced risk of subsequent skin cancer.
Good Luck!
Dr. Brown

Christine Brown, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

There are so many good options for this.

I would start with a board certified dermatologist with a strong interest in cosmetic skin care.  Less is more for a 40 year old.  I would be wary of deep CO2 laser.  The trend is toward less effective but less harmful fractionated C02 and even photo facial treatment.  The creams do help by hydrating the outer layers of the skin.  However, that is really all they do.  So don't spend a fortune on these products.  The $30 cream is probably just as good as the $300 cream.  One big difference will be packaging, fragrance, and celebrity endorsements-those things are not free and represent a good part of the price difference.  Those things also do not translate into actual benefit except for the intangible sense of indulging yourself.  However that $270 difference could be well spent on real luxuries like paying off your credit card or an occasional night out.