Is The Squeaking I Hear A Seroma 8 Years Post-Op?

After I ran this morning, I noticed a weird squeaking or gurgling when I moved my breast in any kind of way. At first it was both sides now primarily on my left. I run all the time, with a good support bra so this is odd to me. I don't have any fever,or redness, although I am coming down with a cold. My augmentation was done 8 years ago, saline. Any help would be great as I have moved away and don't have a ps anywhere near me. Not sure if I should be worried or not!

Doctor Answers 4

Sqeaking breast years after breast augmentation

I do not feel it is unusual to have a seroma around a breast implant after 8 years, especially in a runner or athlete. Seroma can be caused by rubbing and friction of the implant and the pocket, more often with a textured breast implant than smooth. Double up on the support if you continue to run, and a surgeon in your area can set up an ultrasound to check for fluid. Also look up your implant information as you should have been given in identification card with the implant type and maker. If your implant are textured a smooth implant can solve the problem.

Best of luck,


Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Breast impants, late seroma, squeaking

It's pretty uncommon to have a late seroma, but not unheard of. You need to get your surgical records so you know brand, style and size of your implants and see a plastic surgeon soon. You can get names of surgeons in your area from the ASPS website. Do not just ignore this and let it go. At the least you can get an ultrasound or MRI from your local hospital and it might be good to have that information to give your surgeon when you see him.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

You should have it checked

It is very unusual to have late seroma . You need to see a plastic surgeon for further evaluation.  Do you have texture implants?

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

Seroma 8 Years after Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question.

It would be in your best interests  to be examined by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Check with the  American  Board of Plastic Surgery  and/or  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons for plastic surgeons appropriately trained and certified in your area.

After direct examination and/or imaging studies the best course of action (if any) will be decided upon. At the very least you will receive meaningful reassurance.

Best wishes.

Tom J. Pousti, MD, FACS
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1,499 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.