Questions among fractional lasers. Which one fits for Asian skin types?

I searched and ended up in conclusion that among CO2 fractional laser Ultrapulse Encore by Lumenis are the most effective until now. Profractional(Sciton) are same among the Erbium:YAG. (Not considering the skill of MD) I also searched up Pearl Fusion technique (Pearl laser + Pearl Fractional). So my question is among those 3 lasers I have mentioned above, which one fits for Asian skin types and scar type of ice pick and rolling shape for Asian?

Erbium

Erbium lasers have a faster helaing time .The laser itself is not the complete issue it is the settings used. Asian skin is type 5 and needs to be treated with a low density. Tihs will no crease the safety.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

EMatrix and Acne Scars

I treat a lot of patients from Asia who have acne scars.  I have found that the best laser for this condition is the eMatrix Laser.  It allows you to treat these scars deeply without the risk of hyperpigmentation.  Best, Dr. Green

Depends... so many factors to consider.

Ok, firstly there are many different Asian skin type. I note that you are from Seoul, - Korean skin tends to behave more towards skin type 2-3 than say Asian skin type from India, Sri Lanka, or even Malay Malaysian. Yes, your chances of PIH are higher than Caucasians, but much lower than southern Asian skin.

Secondly, what are we treating? If it is acne scarring we want the most amount of deep collagen remodelling and scar remodelling. I treat at least 5-6 Asian patients per day for acne scarring, using all forms of fractional lasers from Erbium Profractional, CO2, Fraxel 1550, Re:Pair, Picosure Focus, and even non-laser RF eMatrix. If are are Northern Asian than LOW DENSITY CO2 done by a specialist is, in my opinion the best. Yes, I do like the Ultrapulse CO2, but the density must be low, and the treatment intervals long. 

If we are talking about a balance between safety (PIH) and how effective treatments are, then sure, non-ablative lasers such as 1550 is an option. The correct laser will also depend on your downtime, level of sun protection and the experience of your Specialist. 

All the best 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist, 
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Lasers for acne scars in Asian skin

Thanks for your question.  With darker skin phototypes such as those found in Asians, Latinos, and those of African descent, great caution must be exercised.  First off, there are two types of fractional lasers: ablative and non-ablative. In my practice, we stick strictly to the non-ablative lasers for darker skin as the risks of causing scarring and pigment is much greater with use of ablative lasers. Secondly, there are some pre and post laser care techniques that can be used to further minimize the risk of hyperpigmentation.  The most important thing to do is seek out a well trained and qualified physican with experience using these lasers to treat patients with a similar phototype as your own. The expertise of the operator is your strongest shield against unwanted side effects. Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser in Asian skin

Be very careful with laser treatment and Asian skin.  Generally Asian skin is a Fitzpatrick type 4 which places you at risk for pigmentation changes in the skin known as Postinflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH). A non ablative laser with pretreatment for PIH may be a safer option.

John Burns, MD