Breast augmentation question. Are these symptoms normal?

My silicon implants were placed above the muscle ten days ago. I have had a lot of pain in my right breast as well as feeling shifting of the implant across the breast wall when raising my arm above my head. are these symptoms normal?

Normal Symptoms?

While it is not uncommon to have discomfort at 10 days out, and to feel a small amount of shifting of the implant, I recommend that you contact your surgeon with any questions or concerns postoperatively.  They know you and your procedure the best, and can provide the most specific recommendations.

Dr. Michael Epstein

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Is pain still normal 10 days out?

Thank you for your recent question! It is not uncommon to still have pain 10 days post-op from your surgery.  However to be sure nothing is going on I would recommend you communicate what you are feeling with your surgeon to see whether or not he/she would like to see you.  Best of Luck!

Pain

It is imperative that you check in with your surgeon and his/her nurses to assess whether anything serious I going on as you are very early post surgery and it would be important to exclude an infection or haematoma

Healing Process

1. Good Morning. Your symptoms are normal, sometimes it depends on each patient how long it takes to heal and feel better. Its important that you contact your surgeon and explain what you feel so he can be aware of the situation and tell you what to do. 

Argeny Mercedes Guzman, MD

Post Op Pain

Thank you for your question. Pain and discomfort can last more than 10 days post op but it should be improving at this point. Lifting your arms over your head or various activities could worsen your pain. If you feel a significant difference in one side and it would be worthwhile to have your surgeon examine you and make sure that you are healing well.

All the best 

Normal symptoms?

The symptoms you are experiencing sound normal.  You should follow-up with your surgeon to make sure things are progressing as they should.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral pain in right breast after over the muscle implant placement 10 days post-op

Although it is okay to have pain after BBA for a few days, it is not normal to have pain 10 days after, especially only in one breast with over the muscle implant placement.

I am unsure if you mentioned your implant shifts in only one breast or both - if both, then that is fine as it is a common occurrence. 

However, if the shifting is only in one breast, there may be something wrong. Also, implants shifting with raising of the arm is normal with under the muscle implant placement due to pressure from the muscles upon flexion, but not with over the muscle.

Please have an in-person follow-up exam with your surgeon to make sure everything is okay.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast implants - one side hurts and the implants seems to be moving

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Usually implants above the muscle won't be hurting after ten days.
  • But you can feel implants shifting for a while after surgery.
  • The only way to be sure is to have your surgeon examine you - always a good idea if you are concerned.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon