Breast capsular contracture. How can I avoid it happening again? (Photo)

Any way to avoid future CC in case I decided replace my implants since this is second time happening the same

How to minimize risk of recurrent capsular contracture

A lot depends on what was done before, what plane your implants are in (under or over the muscle), and other factors. The single most effective strategy is capsulectomy, implant replacement, and  ADM such as Strattice. This lowers to risk of contracture, adds support which your large implants will need, and coverage because the capsulectomy will thin the tissue around the implant.

Causes of Capsular Contraction

One of the most common problems is breast #capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of capsular contracture. The #reason capsular contraction happen is unclear. It's possibly caused by microscopic bacteria on the implant, a   collection of blood after surgery or perhaps it is a tendency for some women to form scar tissue. What we do know is that is cases reported have decreased from 25% to 5-10% or less. One way to attempt the prevention of it is to follow your surgeon's post op instructions as recommended and ask questions of your surgeon when healing concerns arise.

Capsular Contracture

I am sorry that you are dealing with this problem.  It appears that your original complication is related to your breasts needing a lift which was not done.  Instead  large implants were placed to try to lift the breasts which is part of the reason there is capsular contracture.  I would lifting the breasts and either downsizing the implants or using fat injections instead to improve the size of the breasts.  Of course more information is needed to make an accurate recommendation.  Hope this information helps and good luck.

- Ali Sadeghi MD FACS

New Orleans

Ali Sadeghi, MD, FACS
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Preventing capsular contracture

sorry to her about your trouble. This is s very complicated problem if you've had revision surgery before. Much more information has to be attained with an in-person consultation. Based on your photos, I've had success in correcting the contracture. But more information is needed. It is very important it is thoroughly adddressed because each time you have breast revision surgery, the subsequent surgery becomes dramatically more complicated. 

Sorry I couldn't be much more help. But please  see a ABPS BC plastic surgeon to discuss your options. 

Dr Morales

ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Houston, TX

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Preventing capsular contracture

Tough question, especially since I don't know what was done before and in what plane your implants are sitting.  If they are above the muscle then placing them in a new pocket may help.  Otherwise trying something like Singulair is thought to help, and lastly if it's there but not worsening or painful, you could do fat grafting on the top of the right breast to help it have a better contour.