Mole On Head Has Been There For 2 Months. Has Gotten a Bit Larger? (photo)

I have a mole on the top of my head that has been present for about 2 months now. First came in it looked like a pimple but it has not gone away and has gotten a bit larger. I also have a mole above my right ear that has been there most of my life but now there is a smaller one starting just behind that one. I have had some problems with a spot as well that appears on the back of my head, like a scab that comes and goes every few months. not sure what to make of it all. advice on what to do?

Doctor Answers 4

Mole on scalp

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend that you see a board certified facial plastic surgeon or dermatologist for an evaluation and possible biopsy.

Mole on scalp that has grown over 2 months

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is pretty rapid growth. Since it is one your head I would think that judging the time would be hard. I would have it looked at by a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to tell if a mole is safe

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To be safe, you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using either a "punch" or a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance. You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

You might also like...

Schedule an appointment with a dermatologist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your best plan is to schedule an appointment with a board certified dermatologist to review all of your sites and concerns. Sadly as we age, sometimes things just grow, and some of these are totally benign, and some are not at times. So based on the fact that you have concerns, it's best to get just them checked out in person.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.