Should a See a DMD/DDS Maxillofacial Surgeon or Cosmetic Facial Surgeon for a Zygomatic Osteotomy?

I suffered a zygomatic fracture 3 years ago and i want to get an osteotomy to remove the protruding bone from my zygomatic arch for a better symmetry. Who should i see?

Doctor Answers 1

It depends on the surgeon

Honestly, it depends on the surgeon. Craniofacial surgeons, ENT/Facial Cosmetic surgeons, Oculoplastic surgeons, and DMD/DDS Maxillofacial surgeons all may perform the type of surgery you are discussing.

In general, level 1 trauma hospitals and children's hospitals have experience surgeons that can perform this surgery.

This is a complex surgery and surgeon skills definitely matter, so do your homework in your area. 

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website. If they do not perform the surgery, they will likely know a good surgeon that does.

Good luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.