Should I See A Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon?

I have a dented red scar in the shape of a zig-zag on the center of my forehead that has resulted from an accidental scratch. Should I see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to fix this scar?

Doctor Answers 2

Should I See A Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon?

For the treatment of your forehead scar, either a Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist would be well suited. Just ensure that scar treatments are performed frequently. I hope this information is helpful. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 129 reviews

Dermatologist or plastic surgeon for forehead scar?

There are several different types of treatments that could be used to improve a dented scar on the forehead.  Some of these could be non-surgical and some could be surgical.  In general, a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon would be more specialized in surgical procedures although there are some dermatologists that perform surgery as well.  The non-surgical treatment options most likely could be performed by a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.