Do I Need to See a Cosmetic Dentist Specialist to Revise a Crown and Veneer?

If there is such a thing. I have a crown and veneers that are slightly mismatched and mishapen. I have never been happy with them (understatement) and would like to have them redone. Can my regular dentist do the work or should I see a "specialist?" How do I find someone who truly specializes in cosmetic dentistry? I live in New York City and there's a dentist on every corner and they all advertise as "Costmetic Dentists."

Doctor Answers 1

There is no such thing as a Cosmetic Dentist Specialist

You are 100% correct. These days everyone claims to be a Cosmetic "specialist". There is NO recognized specialty in Dentistry in cosmetics. It's up to each individual dentist to seek out as much post-graduate training in cosmetics as he or she desires. I would suggest you research the amount of training and experience that any dentist you are considering has. Is he or she at least a "sustaining member" (as opposed to "general member") of the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD). You can obtain a list of those dentists in your area on AACD's website.  You should ask to see photos of the dentist's actual work on his own patients. While any general dentist is qualified to do "cosmetic dentistry", the more experience one has, and the higher quality ceramic laboratory he uses will make a tremendous difference in the results. One final thought: Don't look for bargains when shopping for parachutes or cosmetic dentistry!

New York Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.