4 months lipo done. And my belly is not flat yet; why?

Have a lipo sculpture done 4 months ago...my question is it's normal that m belly is still swollen and fat??..what can I do to have a flat belly.???

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. Is good for you to know that areas that undergo liposuction often take up to 6 months for the edema (swelling) to dissipate. The rate of dissipation of the swelling is often dependent on many factors such as technique used. I recommend to kkep in comunication with your PS all the time, so he can talk with you about your concerns.

Good luck :)

Lipo

Thank you for posting your question. Swelling is still normal and expected at this stage. After a procedure, the body needs time to reshape and readjust itself. With abdominal liposuction, swelling typically lasts for six months. Also, keep in mind that liposuction is only capable of removing external fat under the skin and above muscles. The internal fat under your muscles can only be addressed through exercises and diet changes. Please continue to follow up closely with your physician to address any discomfort and best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

The reason for a "fat" belly after undergoing liposculpture depends on many factors.

Hello,  Thank you for your question, I am going to try to be concise with my answer.  First, without photos and an examination of your belly, it is impossible to give you an exact answer to your question.  There are a number of reasons for a persistent "fat" belly after undergoing liposculpture.  Liposuction only targets the fat between the skin and the rectus abdominis muscle.  Therefore if you have significant fat that is intra-abdominal (visceral fat), then you will still have a round or "fat" belly.  Also, if the surgeon inadequately removed the target fat tissue, you will still have a "fat" belly.  Examining your stomach would provide this information.  Photos of your stomach would also help to determine the cause of your persistent "fat" belly.  Four months after undergoing liposuction surgery there should typically be very little residual swelling.  The swelling you speak of should not be significant at this point.  Obviously see your operating surgeon and ask these important questions directly to him or her. 

Ryan Mitchell, DO, FAOCO
Henderson Facial Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- REVISION HI DEF LIPOSUCTION – Takes 6 Months to See Optim

It takes about 6 months after liposuction before swelling completely resolves and you see your final results. If you're still swollen at that time, please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Too early to judge outcome

It is too early to judge the outcome.  You may be doing too much.  If you exercise and the swelling gets worse, you need to give it more time to heal.  If you can do cardio with no additional swelling, then burn calories and be patient.  It will take at least 6 months to see the final results.