If you have worn contacts for a long period of time should your vision be retested just prior to surgery? (photo)

I had Lasik surgery on May 14th. During my initial consultation I was told that I have very dry eyes. I was told to leave my contacts out for 2 weeks, use lubricating drops and that my vision would be retested. They did not retest. My near and intermediate vision is very blurry. Could not testing have something to do with this?

Contacts out for lasik

they should have performed a topography to see if your cornea is warped prior to surgery, it is not based on time out of contacts, that is not a reliable way to judge warpage bc some lenses fit tight and some loose

New York Ophthalmologist

Contacts and LASIK

Most surgeons do perform some type of scan or testing on the day of surgery.  The duration that your eyes have been out of contacts should not affect your vision significantly.  Are you over the age of 40?  The blur that you are experiencing may be caused by presbyopia.  Presbyopia occurs as our ability to focus up close slowly decreases with age.  What this means is that you may need three prescriptions to see: one for distance, one for intermediate, and one for near.  Since LASIK corrected your vision for distance, you do not need to wear any correction to see far away.  However, if you are presbyopic, you may need to wear a mild prescription for anything in the intermediate and near.  

Jay Bansal, MD
San Francisco Ophthalmologist