Do I have a weak chin? (Photo)

I've looked up what weak chins look like from the side, and I decided to take a picture of mine. From what it looks like in the picture, it looks weak in my opinion. But I'd rather get a professional opinion, so would you say that my chin is weak? I'd like to know.

Chin position in male patients #plasticusurgery

Based on the position of your chin relative to your other facial features (lower lip etc), you do appear to have a weak or 'retrusive' chin position. A chin implant can help improve this. There are a variety of factors that need to be considered before embarking on chin augmentation surgery, including the length of your lower jaw, dental occlusion and other important factors.

Candidate for a chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

Do I have a weak chin?

Based on your photos, a chin implant would enhance the appearance of your profile. I would recommend a consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. He or she may use computer imaging software to morph a photo of you; this will give you an idea of how the final result of surgery may appear. The morphed image can also serve as a fantastic communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon. I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Chin weakness?

Based on your profile photo it does appear as though your chin is recessed. If this is something that bothers you then chin augmentation is a potential option to bring better balance to your face.
You can learn more about chin augmentation at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Do I have a weak chin?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant candidate for weak chin profile

From the one single photograph,  it does appear that there is weak and recessive chin profile present. A full  set of facial photographs and an in-person examination required due to the fact that the chin/ mandible and the implants are both three-dimensional structures. Chin implants are manufactured in a large  variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. For more information, diagrams of the implants, and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Weak chin?

Looking at your photo, I would say that your chin is lacking some projection and this could be improved with a chin implant.  Placing the implant should help to provide more balance to your profile.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I have a Weak Chin?

Based on this one picture it does appear that you do have a slightly weak chin. Consult with an experienced surgeon to discuss chin augmentation and liposuction under your chin and along the jawline.