How many variations of ear surgery are available for protruding ears?

Are there multiple ways to correct protruding ears?

Otoplasty to reshape protruding ears

• Each ear deformity requires attention to detail to address an individuals ears
  • Factors that are considered include:
    • Patient Preference
    • symmetry to the other ear
    • size of the ears
    • Coexisting ear canal or hearing problems
    • shape of the face
    • type of hairline/ hairstyle
    • and Most importantly

• Taking these into account ,a combination of cartilage reshaping and suturing techniques with minimal skin excision can be tailored to the desired outcome.

Otoplasty to reshape protruding ears

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  • Factors that are considered include:
    • Patient Preference
    • symmetry to the other ear
    • size of the ears
    • shape of the face
    • type of hairline/ hairstyle
    • and Most importantly

Yes, there are

Three are the groups of otoplasty to pin back prominent ears:
-cartilage weakening: the cartilage is rasped or scratched anteriorly to produce a foldback; the degree of correction is somehow unpredictable, making this technique unreliable, also the anterio skin detaching allows hematoma
-cartilage sections: the cartilage is cut to create the folds to pin back; they may produce pointy gnome ears or visible ridges or cutting edges
-suture techniques: all are variations of the classical masterpiece Mustarde's technique, to fold and hold in place the ear cup with sutures, only with posterior approach, no risk of hematoma, predictable in degree of results, natural looking, etc., the downside is the failure of the technique due to basic surgical mistakes that can be avoided with suitable training

Mustarde's procedure is the worlwide chosen preference and also mine; in my case I to a transcutaneous weaking of the cartilage to prevent ear's prominence recurrence, without anterior skin detachment.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Yes, there are

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Methods of treating prominent ears

Yes, there are numerous ways to treat prominent, protruding ears. 

In many respects it's not that there's only one "correct" technique for addressing this issue, but rather there may be several methods that can be used.

Importantly, prominent ears often have more than one component that must be addressed.  This can include treating conchal bowl overgrowth and a weak antihelical fold, for example.

You can read more about otoplasty and prominent ear treatment at my web reference link below.

Methods of treating prominent ears

There are numerous options to correct protruding ears and numerous nuances to achieve the best results. With regard to the basic approaches, most surgeries will involve recreating the deficient folds in the upper part of the ear, setting back the lower portion of the ear or both. I prefer to avoid removing cartilage and instead reshape and reposition the existing cartilage structure of the ear. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fixing Protruding Ears

There are essentially three reasons for prominent ears.  The first is a poorly developed fold in front of the rim of the ear (antihelical fold).  The second is an enlarged bowl of the ear (concha) and the third is a combination of the first two.  Correcting the antihelical fold generally involves some sort of weakening the cartilage that may be supplemented with some sutures to hold the correction.  For an enlarged conchal bowl there may some excision of a portion of the cartilage or some suturing of the bowl of the ear to the tissues of the scalp behind the ear. 

Michael Sundine, MD

Fixing Protruding Ears

Michael Sundine, MD

Multiple ways to fix protruding ears

Without photographs, it's impossible to give any opinion on the techniques involved with  repairing the prominent ears. Depending upon the anatomy, that will determine the techniques used. In general, if there is a lack of an anti-helical fold, the fold will have to be reproduced with by placing cuts in the cartilage and suturing a new fold with permanent sutures. If the chonchal bowl is too prominent, suture techniques and cartilage excision are performed. An otoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.

Multiple ways to fix protruding ears