Thinking of removing implant in a few months, but how will the result look with the Osteotomy/Tip Plasty already done? (photos)

I recently had Asian rhinoplasty in Korea. I had a silicon implant, osteotomy, alar base reduction (and cinch suture) and tipplasty udon septal cartilage. My bridge looks too straight and unnatural and my nostrils look pinched (possibly from tip raised too high?) I'm feeling hopeless and I don't know how much swelling has distorted my nose. 

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Asian rhino

If you are early post surgery you would expect quite a bit of swelling which you look like you have - give it at least 3-6m months before you decide to change anything - considering swelling at this point I think things are looking good

Asian Rhinoplasty Results

From your pictures, it seems like you are still early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point.The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Revision Asian Rhinoplasty

Unfortunately, you are not the only  patient who has undergone surgery in Asia who desires revision rhinoplasty surgery.  In general, I do not recommend using implants in the nose as they usually look unnatural.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Revision rhinoplasty candidate

The follow-up appointments are just as important as the actual surgery itself for a rhinoplasty procedure, so consider going back to your original surgeon in Korea.   Your original surgeon we will have all the operative records upon what was accomplished with your procedure may have some ideas on what can be  done moving forward.  It is also important to wait at least 1 year before undergoing a revision surgery to allow all of the phases of healing to be complete before embarking on another procedure.  Removing a silicone implant can be done, but the nose will probably be left out of balance because there has been a full rhinoplasty procedure performed already.  The size and the type of implant placed will also make a difference when removal is accomplished.  Revision rhinoplasty is  a very difficult endeavor,  so choose your second Surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience.

Removing a nasal implant

Hi soysaucee,Removal of a silicon implant alone is typically not difficult to do. However, you have to consider where you want your dorsal height to be after it is removed. If you want to revert back to your original height (or slightly lower if there was some reduction prior to implantation), then removing the implant alone may suffice. However, if you want an in between dorsal height, then you would need to have another "implant" to give you the projection you desire. This could either be another alloplastic implant like the one you had (but smaller) or natural materials like rib cartilage / diced cartilage / temporalis fascia-wrapped cartilage. All of these have pros and cons. As for the tip, it would be helpful to know if you had just a dorsal implant (just over the bridge of the nose) or if it extended into the tip and was shaped like an "L." It is hard to tell from the photos but those "L" shaped implants can cause a pinched and projected look in the Asian nose.Good luck to you,Michael M. Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty: removing an implant

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.Implants are synthetic material placed in the nose to create a higher bridge or more tip projection. They can produce a great result; however, I am not a fan of the lifetime risk of infection. A patient may choose to remove an implant if it is infected, shifted, or they don't like the appearance. After removing the implant, there is a empty space in the nose that needs to be filled. I prefer using the patient's own  cartilage. I would recommend meeting with a revision rhinoplasty specialist. A full consultation is necessary to get all of the details of your previous surgery, examine your nose, and take photographs for analysis. I like to use 3D computer simulation to get on the same page as my patient regarding their goals. Revision is more complex than a first surgery, so questions are welcome. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon