I am so unhappy with my profile. I am unsure of chin implant or neck lipo. I would love some advice. (photos)

Would love to get some advice. Currently in Seattle and looking to change my profile as it has bothered me for quite some time. I am not overweight but constantly have a double chin. Not sure which surgery would be best. Thanks

Chin augmentation with submental liposuction candidate

Dear kattiesizzlin, You would be an excellent candidate for chin augmentation most likely combined with sub-mental liposuction. This would add more projection to your chin and remove any excess fat under the chin giving you a more defined jawline and balanced profile. If you wanted to refine your nose with rhinoplasty this would provide you with a nicely balanced overall facial aesthetic. See some examples in the video above and link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Profile change - a combination of chin and nose adjustment

Hi Katie. Many thanks for your post and photos. The side profile is a common concern for many patients. For the most natural and harmonious look, the chin has to be balanced well with the rest of the face and also the nose. Judging from the photos, the chin is set back a bit and the nose is quite prominent. It doesn't look as if there is a lot of fat in the neck region and liposuction on its own would probably not achieve what you are hoping for. For patients in your situation, I would suggest limited liposuction to the neck and using the fat (after purification) to augment the chin (fat transfer). In addition, a small reduction of the nose might help balance the whole side profile out. Good luck!

Candidate for a chin augmentation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin Implant and/or liposuction to Improve My Profile

You should consider a chin/jowl implant combined with neck liposuction to increase chin projection, jaw definition, and reduce the fullness of your neck will improve your profile. I frequently see patients that are frustrated because they have this inherited appearance despite the fact that they are not overweight.

Chin Implant for Profile Change

Thanks for providing your photos.  They are very helpful.  While liposuction of your neck or under your chin would likely be helpful, you really require a chin implant to change your profile.  Your chin sits back further than it should and by adding a chin implant a number of things would happen: 
  • You tighten the skin of your neck since it would be pulled out by the implant,
  • You would have a stronger, more balanced look from the front view.
  • The marionette lines that you have now would be greatly improved.
  • You would have a much more pleasing profile.
This would be especially true if you used a ridged shaped implant like the one made by Medpor.  These implants, unlike silicone implants, literally become part of you as your tissue Velcros to the.  They can also be put in under conscious sedation so the procedure is pretty easy.  If you need liposuction (which I doubt if you have the right implant), it can be done at the same time.  I hope that helps.Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant and neck liposuction combination #plasticsurgery

I believe you would benefit from both a chin implant to improve the projection of your chin point relative to your lower lip. Liposuction will also improve the contour of your neck. Both procedures could be done in combination with a swift recovery.

I am so unhappy with my profile. I am unsure of chin implant or neck lipo. I would love some advice.

Hello katiesizzlin - Thanks for your question.  You actually might benefit from both submental liposuction and chin implant placement. That being said, you seem to have a really under-projected chin on profile view.  If you have problems with malocclusion of your teeth, you might benefit from jaw surgery to improve the relationship between the upper and lower jaw.  If your teeth fit properly, you don't necessarily need jaw surgery, as an implant should work to lengthen your jawline on profile.  I would recommend that you consult with a facial surgery specialist for more information. Good luck - Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Double chin and recessed chin treatment

Based on your photos I can see how your chin is quite recessed such that a chin implant would be a good way to add projection to the area and strengthen the jaw line. I do also get a sense of excess fat under the chin that may be improved with liposuction (I'd have to examine the area in person to get a more complete assessment of that).The liposuction is done through the same incision as the chin implant which is placed behind the chin itself.You can read about chin augmentation and see before and after photos at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Chin implant and neck liposuction

The photographs demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile, in addition to the small amount of fatty deposits in the neck. A chin implant can accomplish bringing the chin forward to help significantly with facial balance and proportions, especially from the side profile.  The frontal profile will accomplish adding a small amount amount of width to the chin. Liposuction in the neck can be performed to remove fatty deposits in that location which would accentuate the jawline, and is complementary to the chin implant.  Placement of the chin implant will give more of an improvement than the neck liposuction, both can be performed at same time under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure. Chin implants are composed of Silastic, and are manufactured in a large variety of shapes and sizes. Digital computer imaging performed at time of examination and consultation would be helpful to understand what can be accomplished with both procedures. For more information and many before-and-after results  of both  chin implants/ neck liposuction, please see the link and video below

Treatment options to improve profile

Based on your photos, I think you would be a good candidate for chin augmentation and liposuction of your neck under the chin.  Both of these procedures would help to balance your profile and doing both would give you a better result than doing one or the other alone.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon