What are the different types of Rhinoplasty?

There appears to be several different types of Rhinoplasty, can you please break them down?

Open versus closed rhinoplasty

The open rhinoplasty approach involves making an incision on the inside and on the outside of the nose across the columella. A closed rhinoplasty involves making the incisions only on the inside of the nose. There are many maneuvers that can be performed to change the shape of the nose which include shaving down the bony and cartilaginous hump. Narrowing the bones with osteotomies, suture techniques applied to the bulbous nasal tip to narrow it, and cartilage grafting techniques such as spreader grafts to prevent collapse of the upper lateral cartilages. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Types of rhinoplasty

This is a huge question and is difficult to answer with a blanket statement. In general there are open and closed rhinoplasty, denoting if there is a small incision associated with the columella. Then there are many different techniques employed and they can be discussed based on your specific needs with your rhinoplasty surgeon. They will be dependent on if the tip of your nose is a main focus, the bridge, etc. Your best bet is to meet with a surgeon in person to address these issues.

Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
I recommend you to send your photos to give you the advices you need and want.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty types

Well, there are many different techniques that are employed during rhinoplasty that are tailored for the individual. Most are done either open or closed.

Nose

noname, the trite answer to this question is that every rhinoplasty I do is done for that patient such that they all are somewhat different. Simply see an experienced surgeon that does "only faces" and is board certified. Search the Internet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Differences in rhinoplasty technique usually involve the surgical approach and the treatment of tip cartilages.

A major difference in rhinoplasty technique involves the surgical approach - some surgeons prefer an endonasal approach, and others prefer an external approach with a mid-columellar incision. We favor an external approach for improved visualization and flexibility.

Another difference in rhinoplasty involves management of the tip cartilages. Some surgeons prefer leaving the crural arches intact, and others prefer dividing the tip cartilages. We favor division of the tip cartilages and treating the tip as a tripod to achieve a desired result.

Thank you for the interesting query.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Types of rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  This is a very broad question.  If you are thinking about rhinoplasty, I would suggest seeing someone well respected in your area who can guide you through the process.  Or, if you have questions about changes you would like to make to your nose and how surgeons here would approach it, this is a good forum to get answers.  I have posted a link from a page on my website that (along with the FAQ page there) at least partially answers your question.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon