What type of chin lipo should I get? (Photo)

I've read that traditional lipo (which I think is tumescent) is more effective than laser lipo or smart lipo. Below is a picture of how I look now and how I want to look. I'm not overweight and a slack chin seems to run in my mom's side (my aunt is thin and still has the slack chin). I don't want a tiny unnoticeable change, I want a sharp smooth taut jawline and chin. My neck looks better whenever I tighten or tense the under-chin muscles. How can I look like the second picture?

Neck/chin liposuction

Thank you for your question. Our practice typically does both the Smartlipo (laser liposuction) along w/ traditional (tumescent) liposuction in one procedure. They each compliment one another. I would never promise that you would look exactly like the photo you show as your goal, but I think that's not an unreasonable expectation. It takes a solid 3+ months to get near your final appearance, so keep that in mind. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Neck liposuction

Most people who have a double chin have somewhat of a lack of Chin projektion period This bony inbalance usually needs to be addressed as well as underlying fat to get the best shape and contour. Sometimes a neck tightening procedure called the platysmalplasty should be done as well. There's no magical form of liposuction. There are however talented and not so talented physicians. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Neck lift versus neck liposuction

The photographs demonstrate fatty deposits in the neck which can be removed with liposuction.  When patients have fatty deposits underneath the platysma muscle, surgery is required to remove that fat deposit. This is considered a neck lift, even though no skin is removed.  To obtain a sharp angulated jawline requires  A platysma plasty with sutures placed in the platysma muscle to get better jawline definition.   For many examples, please see the link and the video below to our before and after neck liposuction photo gallery

Liposuction versus Kybella

Based on your pictures, a nonsurgical alternative like Kybella, an injectable fat dissolver that can minimize the appearance of a double chin could be an option for you.  The average patient needs 3 treatments for maximum result, spaced 4 – 6 weeks apart. If you are looking for more of an immediate result, micro-liposuction to this area can be another reasonable minimally invasive surgical option.  

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultrasonic liposuction for chin revision

The type of liposuction that will be used in a chin revision procedure will be determined by your doctor after a consultation. S/he may opt for traditional liposuction using a cannula connected to a suction pump. There’s also tumescent liposuction that has an injection of a solution mix of salt, lidocaine and epinephrine into a layer of fat to swell the fat cells and make them easier to isolate and remove. Ultrasonic liposuction has a cannula emitting ultrasonic sound waves into the fat to make them easier to remove, making it easier to remove larger and denser fat deposits. A good number of surgeons that perform chin lipo also do a neck tightening procedure called the platysmalplasty. This procedure works on fatty deposits in the neck, through surgery and is considered a neck lift, even though no skin is removed. It is a simple procedure with an easy recovery.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

What type of chin lipo should I get?

Hello,After 17 years of performing liposuction, I have tried various modalities including the two you mention, and I still believe tumescent lipo is still the gold-standard for facial and body contouring.  As for your specific question, you should seek a consult with an experienced surgeon who can show results and give you an idea of the results you can expect.Best,Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

What type of chin liposuction?

From your photographs there is a suggestion that there is some submental fat that can be liposuctioned.  In young women this seems to stimulate fairly good skin contraction but it may not achieve the results that you are drawing in the photo.  It is a simple procedure with an easy recovery.  Depending upon your age you might consider a necklift in the future depending upon the quality and outcome of your liposuction procedure.  If you go to my website and review some of the liposuction photos you will see some women who had remarkable changes in their neck contour from the lipo procedure alone.  Sometimes we add a chin implant to enhance projection but from your photographs I do not think you are a suitable candidate.  I might change my opinion if I have the opportunity to see you in person.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

What type of chin lipo should I get?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak and there is a very small amount of fat below the chin but nowhere else along the sides for front of the neck.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.That small amount of fat can be removed using "any" proper liposuction technique and represents several mm's of excess fat.  

Hope this helps.