Best treatment for scars post facelift?

It has been 1yr post facelift and the scars behind my ears are still visible, raised and thick. There is some redness. they are itchy at times and a bit painful. I have tried silicone sheets and silicone gel but they caused irritation and redness got worse! Would steroid injections help? should I wait a bit longer before considering a revision surgery?

Keloid scars 1 year post #facelift: consider scar revision, silicone sheeting, #laser and steroid injection

It would be helpful for us to see pictures.  Steroid is a known treatment for hypertrophied and keloid scars but after one year, and if your scars are wide and thick, you might want to consider scar revision and early treatment with silicone sheeting, silicone gel, laser and steroid injection, every 8 weeks.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scars

There are always scars following a facelift which will vary depending on many factors. The design of the scars will determine, along with many other factors including heredity, the duration after surgery and other factors, the extent  and visibility of the scars. A good plastic surgeon will make every effort to camouflage the scars. Visible scars can also be modified with laser or other techniques.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Managing Scars Following Your Facelift

The #scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. We find that scar reducing product, BioCorneum , appears to be very effective.
If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Help for Stubborn Scars

Scars can be very tricky to reduce, and they become more stubborn as time goes on. Steroid injections can certainly help, as can certain laser treatments. But 1 year after surgery, you may be a candidate for a surgical scar revision. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in this intricate procedure.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Revision Scar Treatment May Be Best

If your scars remain itchy, raised, and painful a year after surgery it's probably time to consider a scar revision procedure. You may make some progress with steroid injections and laser treatments, but scar revision surgery would probably give you the most comprehensive results. Without seeing photos of the scars or performing a personal exam, it's not possible to say with certainty what is the best treatment. Raised and thick scars can be excised, followed by early and regular treatment with silicone sheeting and gel, as well as steroid injections. Schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon to determine the best course of action. Good luck.

Thomas McNemar, MD, FACS
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Scars Can Take a While to Heal, But Steroids May Help

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to read that your scars are not healing properly. Rest assured that scars can take a few years to fully mature, so you might not yet be at your final result at this time. Steroid injections can be used to help soften the scars and reduce the symptoms associated with them. There are many scar creams, so you might want to try another brand to see if it is more tolerable for you. I would wait to undergo revision surgery until there are no more changes with the scars. Best of luck.

Louis C. Cutolo, Jr., MD, FACS

Scars after facelift

Typicalls scars can take a full year to mature. Therefore, it is reasonable to consider further intervention at this time.  Steroid injections can often be helpful as well as scar revision surgery. I recommend you consult your plastic surgeon so he can evaluate the scars and offer further suggestions. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Face and neck lift - scars still lumpy

Thank you for your question about your face lift.
  1. After a year, it is reasonable to consider steroid injections to thick scars.
  2. There are other injections that can be used and lasers sometimes help as well.
  3. I suggest you see your own plastic surgeon for her/his advice and treatment.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Have you tried 5 fu?

Most surgeons aren't using this yet, but I find that 5 FU works great on raised red scars, much better than kenalog injections. This anti cancer drug is injected into  hypertrophic sccars and they usually get dramatically better in a few weeks. It can be repeated if needed. HoPe this helps

Michael E. Kelly, MD

Multiple treatment options for older scars

Hi SStarr77.  Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the scars this far out of surgery.  There are a variety of treatment options, depending upon your skin type...so an in person examination is a must for a definitive recommendation.  Nonetheless, laser treatments will soften, flatten and remove the redness.  Steroid injections will do the same.  Revisional surgery is a consideration, and using different stitches may be helpful, but be prepared that the new scars may be similar.  Your original operating PS will be your best resource as they know their closure technique, your recovery course, history and other contributing factors.  Good luck!

Vaishali B. Doolabh, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon