Travelling from Seattle to CA for tummy tuck & breast Augmentation in a month. Are stairs hard? Is it hard to get out of bed?

Just wondering to those of you out there that have traveled after a tummy tuck . I'm getting surgery on a Friday, would I hate my life if I got on a plane on a Saturday evening to go home to Seattle? I will be coming back for a follow up two weeks after. I'm nervous about the recovery! My bedroom is upstairs and our recliners are in the basement without a bathroom. Are stairs really hard? Is it hard to get out of bed?

This is one of those postoperative management questions, the answer to which will be different for every surgeon.  You should have easy access to your surgeon either through email or phone so that these questions can be answered by your surgeon.Kenneth Hughes, MDLos Angeles, CA

Travel after Surgery

I would highly suggest against travel so soon after your procedure. There are far too many risk factors, I would recommend you discuss this with your surgeon, plan to stay longer after your procedure or research qualified highly rated surgeons in your area. 
Best of Luck!

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Mommy Makeover and Travel

Not a lot more needs to said about the problems with medical tourism or travelling to have a procedure.  The idea of flying the next day however, is extremely risky because of the greatly increased risk of blood clots in your legs or DVTs that are life threatening.  It takes a minimum of 24 hours to recover but you are not healed.  The healing process takes about 6 weeks. I have added a video here to learn about a fat recovery but travelling back and forth for surgery and followups does not make much sense on any level.I hope that helps.Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Travelling after a tummy tuck

I would urge you to discuss your travel plans with your doctor and to stay at least a few days locally after the surgery.  Going back home so soon and having to deal with travel, stairs, etc can be very difficult on a patient and make your recovery much more difficult.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Travel soon after mommy makeover is risky

Does your surgeon know you are planning to fly home the day after your tummy tuck and breast augmentation? You can see from the responses here that the advice against that is unanimous. Since there are several highly qualified plastic surgeons in the Seattle area, your decision to travel out of state doesn't make sense and adds to the risk of your procedure.

Richard Baxter, MD

Post op care

when people come to me from out of town, I make them stay for 2 weeks. I think you are asking for trouble.  what dr is going to take care of you when you get home?  are you planning to fly to post op visits.  you live in a major city,  why on earth travel

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

It is funny to me how many times I answer this question on here. And I am going to ask you the same thing I ask other people...Why in the world are you traveling to a surgeon in CA to have a cosmetic procedure when there are plenty of surgeons in the Seattle area who are more than qualified to perform that procedure?!?! You cannot be saving that much money that justifies the additional travel expenses and additional risk. Do not be fooled with fancy advertising and false promises, there is nothing that a California doctor can do special that someone in Seattle cannot. Above all be safe and do the right thing. Get surgery with a local board certified plastic surgeon who can be there for you during the postop recovery. It's just not worth the risk. If you are convinced that you need to go to California, I would advise staying in town for two weeks postop. Good luck and be safe!

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.  I advise my out of town patients to stay in Los Angeles for 2 -3 weeks following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Not a great plan for TT and BA!

Forget about me, but there are several superb surgeons in Seattle who can do everything for you that anybody in CA can. There is a danger of death from a TT from blood clots going to the lungs and the ONLY way you should take this on is to create the optimal recovery. IF you do not stay to do it in Seattle, you really must plan to stay in CA for 2 weeks. I'd actually be concerned about a surgeon who would let you follow the plan you have described as they clearly don't have your safety as a top priority!

Travelling from Seattle to CA for tummy tuck & breast Augmentation in a month.

Practices will vary but in our practice, I would ask that you stay in town for at least two weeks after tummy tuck surgery.  I would NOT  advise you to travel the following evening after tummy tuck surgery.  Yes, you will need help getting in/out of bed and help getting upstairs ( one person on each side).

Based on your questions, I think you will benefit from more education regarding the extensiveness of the tummy tuck operation; the recovery period (both from the physical and emotional) is often underestimated.  

In other words, it is a significant operation associated with a significant recovery, both from the physical (and often) emotional standpoints.  Most patients require at least 2 to 4 weeks off work, depending on their job requirements;  I also ask patients to have full-time help for at least one to two weeks after the procedure is performed.

It is not unusual for some patients to require several months before they regain preoperative strength/stamina/energy levels.   What I have observed  is that many patients are about 70 to 80% of their energy level at the 4 to 6 weeks post op period and may require 3 to 4 months before they are 100%.  Again, it is not unusual for patients to experience significant emotional "ups and downs" as well.

I would suggest that you clarify these issues with your plastic surgeon prior to making decisions/plans. Best wishes.