Traveling after Breast Augmentation - please help! I travelled from Seattle to Colombia.

I travel back to Seattle 14 days post op, but I'll be in Seattle for one day before traveling to Tokyo on a study abroad and I'm worried that if something goes wrong I'd need to travel back to Colombia. My plastic surgeon says it's ok and that people travel back within a week but still, I'm not going back home, I'll be alone in a place I've never been.How soon would i need to wait after a BA? considering I have to take the train from the airport to Tokyo with my luggage etc.

Breast augmentation and travel

I ask my patients to try to be in my town for a couple weeks after surgery and I usually try to see them every other week in the few couple of months. I encourage them not to travel long distances for around 2 weeks after surgery and if they must travel after two weeks, then they should consider a baby ASA and walk frequently on the plane to prevent a DVT.  Heavy lifting is not encouraged for around 4-6 weeks after surgery.  Some patients may consider waiting for surgery until they return from abroad.  Then your surgeon can take care of you if an issue arises.  If you have already had surgery, then you  might consider checking with ASAPS to see if there is an international Tokyo surgeon that would be willing to help you out in a pinch.
Good luck!

You are tempting fate

with the activities and obligations you have after your procedure.  If you cannot have help go with you to Japan todo your lifting and lugging, you should have a plan B if something should happen while there.  You should have a plastic surgeon in Tokyo lined up just in case you need one... and this would mean contacting them before you leave Seattle to ensure they would be willing to see you if needed.  Or you could just plan on going to the ER but I have no idea on how they would bill for that.   Its best to put this off to a time when you will have adequate time to recover without all the worry.

Curtis Wong, MD

Travelling Post Op

Thank you for your question. I think it is a good idea for you to have a plan for medical care, should you need it. People usually can travel within a few days of their BA provided all is going well with recovery but you will have activity restrictions and it would be a good idea to have a board certified Plastic Surgeon that you can visit in your new location in case you have issues/concerns with healing.
All the best

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks following surgery. I would also recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing following surgery. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon