Is topical anesthetic necessary during the diVa Procedure?

Will a patient require topical anesthetic during this treatment?

Numbing

I recommend a topical anesthetic. We have a special anesthetic mixed by our compounding pharmacy that works really well for our patients. Some patients decline in which case we have iced the area prior to treatment. We also provide ice packs after the treatment. 

Topical anesthesia for diVa

The diVa treatment is really best performed with a topical anesthesia gel to maximize a patient's comfort. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but I do recommend it. There are areas of the vagina (the front and back walls) that are more sensitive where it is quite helpful. 

As a woman, I also understand this is a procedure that may be uncomfortable for more than one reason--including anxiety. In my opinion, I don't see a reason to make it a more uncomfortable experience due to pain but will certainly respect a patient's choice to decline. 

Brynn Richardson, MD
Wichita Otolaryngologist

DiVa numbing

The procedure is an in-office treatment, and topical anesthetic can be applied but its not necessary.  In our office we do suggest a numbing to keep our clients completely comfortable.

Topical Anesthetic

The topical anesthetic  is recommended to make the procedure more comfortable. Each patient's treatment plan is individualized so if you don't want the topical you can discuss different options with your provider. 

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon