Is ThermiDry the best treatment for excess sweating?

I would like to know more about the ThermiDry treatment to treat excess sweating.

ThermiTight for reduction in underarm sweating ( excessive perspiration or hyperhidrosis )

Over more than twenty years doctors have tried numerous procedures that did result in long term reduction of hyperhidrosis ( excessive sweating ) such as: surgical procedures including excision, curettage (scraping), liposuction and non surgical such as Mira Dry (electromagnetic heating and destruction of the sweat glands ) and now ThermiTight which involves numbing the skin with local anesthetic and heating the sweat glands with radiofrequency delivered through a tiny rod underneath the skin. However, ThermiTight does not have a specific FDA indication of treatment of axillary (underarm) hyperhidrosis but physicians can use it if they feel the patient is a candidate and they advise the patient that it is not a specific approved indication.

Many patients who have had reduction of sweating from any of these treatments have noted long term results. ThermiTight is relatively new and long term results are not yet known. Keep abreast of further information of this technique.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

ThermiDry for excessive sweating

As you indicated there are various procedures to address excessive sweating. I like ThermiDry because it is very safe, relatively inexpensive compared to continuous Botox injections, and also much less invasive than surgery. I think it is a great option for patients who would like something that is longer lasting. To date, we do not have definitive data on how long it lasts, but it seems to last for several years which make it an excellent alternative to neurotoxins. In addition, it is a short out-patient procedure with virtually no downtime. Patients have been remarkably happy. I recommend seeking out a professional who has been involved with Thermi Aesthetics for some time period. I hope that is helpful and best of luck.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Excessive sweating

There have been numerous procedures suggested to decrease sweating. Botox injections are expensive and need to be repeated. Surgical removal of the glands - surgery with variable results and sometimes delayed healing. Now we have Thermi --- it has only been around for a year or two but the results seem to be promising, the treatment involves local anesthesia only and we hope will have a prolonged result. There are a few of us doing this in the New York area == seek a consultation.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Excess Sweating Ruining Your Life? Try ThermiDry

Dr. Edward Dickerson speaks about the best options available to treat hyperhidrosis, including injectables, non-surgical and surgical methods.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon