Is the MonaLisa Touch safe?

It was just released in the US and it looks like it's being used overseas.are there studies suggesting it's safety and or success/failure?

Yes, the MonaLisa Touch is safe.

The MonaLisa Touch is safe and effective for treatment of the symptoms associated with vaginal atrophy due to menopause or cancer treatment  such as:
  • Vaginal itching
  • Vaginal dryness
  • Pain during intercourse
  • Vaginal laxity
Additionally, patients have experienced relief to secondary symptoms such as urinary incontinence.

The MonaLisa Touch is not intended to be a vaginal tightening treatment, although some patients have noted that there is a degree of tightening. This is mainly due to the changes in the thickness and texture of vaginal tissue after treatment.

The treatment has been used in other countries (Europe, South America, Australia, Asia ...) for over 8 years now and there have been many studies published about its safety and effectiveness.

I perform the MonaLisa Touch treatment in my office and I can honestly say that every patient that I have treated has had excellent results.

It is important to note that this treatment is for women who suffer from the symptoms of vaginal atrophy and not for "cosmetic tightening". This is not an alternative to a Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation surgical procedure (which I perform as well). The goal of the MonaLisa Touch procedure is to restore your vaginal tissue's health and thus provide relief to patients that have been suffering both physically and emotionally.

MonaLisa Touch: Is is Safe? What does it do?

The Mona Lisa Touch, the FemiiLift, and the IntimaLase procedures are nonsurgical laser procedures that treat the skin of the vaginal canal. They use the same technology of fractional laser skin peeling used for the face. These procedures are examples of laser vaginal tightening (LVT) - actually laser vaginal skin tightening. They don't cause the vaginal skin to peel and they don't require anesthesia.

As for success and failure, consider the following:

When the vagina loosens after childbirth, it's the muscles that have loosened. The skin stretches too, but the distances between the levator muscles (Kegel muscles) and the muscles of perineum is commonly permanently widened. In addition, the attachments of pelvic floor muscles, the bladder, and the rectum can become damaged. Procedures generally known as vaginoplasty and pelvic floor reconstruction are designed to fix the damage, tighten the muscles, and tighten the skin to create a long lasting and effective solution. LVT, cures none of these things. It's designed to provide a mild superficial and temporary shrink to the vaginal skin only, not the muscles and not to damage to the pelvic floor. It's a trade-off. If you want something that works well and lasts a long time, consider vaginoplasty. If you want something less effective, temporary and cheap, then LVT might be your thing.

Safe, yes.

The data from Europe and that data starting to be published from US trials overwhelmingly shows Mona Lisa Touch (MLT) laser to be safe, with little to no down time of side effects.  

The real question is, "Is it effective?" The answer seems to be yes, and I think the answer becomes stronger the more studies are published.  It is important to know that the European studies were done with only 3 month follow up, mostly, and showed good results.  They use a different time interval and slightly lower laser settings, so the US protocol is likely equally, if not more, effective.  There is 1 year follow up data in press now that was recently presented at a national meeting that seems to show good 1 year success rates. As this and other longer studies are published we will have even more reason to recommend MLT as a first line therapy for vaginal atrophy, dryness and sexual function in menopause.  

Keep in mind, MLT is not a "rejuvenation" techniques for tightening the vagina or reshaping the labia, it is for vaginal atrophy and sexual function in women in menopause.

Sincerely,  

Rebecca Dunsmoor-Su, MD MSCE

The MonaLisa Touch is safe

There are numerous studies documenting safety of the MonaLisa Touch. More than 20,000 women have been treated world-wide with no reports of adverse effects. In addition, the MonaLisa Touch is FDA approved for the treatment of vaginal atrophy.

The MonaLisa Touch is safe and effective

So far I have not seen any major adverse events resulting from the therapy.  In the clinical trials, patients were not given pre procedure antibiotics.  I have had a few patients feel irritated and experience a vaginal discharge for a few days longer than the 2-3 days we expect.  I performed vaginal cultures which were negative, so up until I have not seen any vaginal infections.

One of my patients, who is prone to urinary tract infections got one a few days after her 1st treatment and it was easily treated.

There have not been any serious burns or long term adverse events.  My first patients was treated in Feb 2015 and so far they are doing very well.  I would not recommend using preventative antibiotics.  

In patients with very frequent herpes outbreaks, it is recommended to use preventative antivirals such as acyclovir around the time of the procedure.

Efficacy has been better than I anticipated when I purchased my laser in December of 2015.  In the original clinical trials about 13 out of 14 patients experienced relief of symptoms, but I've seen every patient experience improvement in symptoms so far.

Mona Lisa Touch Safety

The Mona Lisa Touch has numerous peer reviewed studies showing safety.  At this point, over 20,000 women have been treated with no reports of significant side effects. In effort to produce more data for this revolutionary procedure, there are ongoing studies overseas and here in the United States. The safety of this type of laser has been supported by data over 20 years. The history of the development of the Mona Lisa Touch is very fascinating and can be found in a webinar format for your viewing online. Warm Regards, Jennifer Murphy, MD

Mona Lisa Touch safety

The majority of studies were done in Italy. Over 15,000 patients treated worldwide so far with no serious adverse side effect. I have now treated around 100 patients , again with no adverse side effect.
The most important thing is to know what you are treating and make sure the treatment is what you need

Peter D. Weiss, MD
Beverly Hills OB/GYN

Mona Lisa safety, success and failure questions

This procedure is very much so safe. It is also fast and painless requiring no anesthesia. Patients talk about seeing results in as fast as one week. Studies show good results without any down side. It has been so successful that it is being used for other vaginal problems in Europe and shows great promise. However it is not FDA cleared for such use over here in the United States.

More on Mona Lisa Touch (tm)

In the proper hands, it is "safe," but effectiveness is a question.

I personally have worked with the some of the physicians who have developed and tested the equipment.

Regards,

Dr. Goodman