Will my textured implants settle and become equal? 2 weeks post-op 275cc textured round high profile under muscle. (photos)

One of the breasts has already a pretty natural look, while the other is still more swollen and higher. They generally look different as the right breast appears larger on the bottom while the the left one looks oval. I was advised by my surgeon to use an elastic pressure band and a regular soft top instead of my surgical compression bra until the left implant drops. I read that a massage would help but textured implants can't be massaged. Will this settle on its own?

Textured implants are designed NOT to move

once placed.  But if one is fuller, banding and massaging will not hurt, but it may not help either.  Only time will tell if you find your symmetry acceptable.  Be patient and know that your surgeon should be just as concerned as you are with achieving symmetry... and if not, you selection of a surgeon was not a good one.

Massage Does Nothing

Massage and bands have been shown to be ineffective at correcting asymmetries, or preventing or treating capsular contracture. Only time will help - 6 to 9 months with textured devices. Nothing else necessary but a supportive bra. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Too Early Critique After Breast Augmentation

A straight-on before picture would give us better information.The before photo appears to be taken from below the breasts, not level to the breasts. With the information I can gather from your before photo, it appears as if you have some asymmetry. This is normal. Any asymmetry present before breast augmentation appears more exaggerated even though it is the exact same after breast augmentation. The breasts are sisters, not twins. Two weeks is far too early to start critiquing the result. That critiquing process can begin around the six-month mark once the breast tissue and swelling have settled. Considering how far apart your breasts were and that your nipples pointed laterally, the early result looks good. Enjoy your new curves instead of nitpicking them. It will be less stressful for you and worrying will not change anything but only hinder your recovery. Happy healing!

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Will my textured implants settle and become equal? 2 weeks post-op 275cc textured round high profile under muscle.

Thank you for your question and photo.  In spite of what you may read textured implants do settle with time.  It generally takes 3-4 months for the implants to drop and the Bando that her surgeon recommended should help this process.

Two weeks post op

Thank you for your questions and the pictures. You are still quire early in the post operative recovery period. Looking at your pre-operative photos, your right breast is larger than your left breast and this slight asymmetry becomes more obvious after breast augmentation. It's not unusual after surgery for one breast to sit slightly higher than the other or to feel tighter than the other breast. The skin needs time to stretch and accommodate the implants and this process takes three to six months. Every surgeon has different preferences in terms of compression bras and elastic bands after breast augmentation surgery. Always follow your surgeons advice. I usually recommend that my patient begin displacement exercises (placing some pressure on the breasts upward and inward two to three times a day) one to two weeks after surgery to help the implant remain free in the pocket created at the time of surgery. Textured implants tend to move less post operatively than smooth implants, but you can expect some relaxing of the skin and the implants to drop over the next few weeks.   

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Textured Implants/Drop

At two weeks you could still expect some subtle changes to come but the implants do not drop & fluff as dramatically when they are textured. You are correct that they should not be massaged. I recommend that you follow up in person with your Plastic Surgeon to assess and ensure you are healing well.

All the best