Swelling above Mini Tummy Tuck incision site almost 3 months post op? (photos)

Overall I'm very happy with my skin only mini tt results. I do, however, have a bulge over my incision (had small seroma that resolved). Could I still be swelling 3 months post op? It's most obvious in my tight workout pants (pictured). That part of my tummy was flat before; my extra skin was around my belly button area. If it's not swelling it's almost like the bulge was moved down. My fingers are crossed that it's swelling. It seems to go up and down in size esp big after working out.

Swelling above Mini Tummy Tuck incision site almost 3 months post o

Thank you for you for your question.  Final results take 6-12 months. This surgery in particular leads to swelling in the lower abdomen and supra pubic area. The swelling will take the longest amount of time to go away, but rest assured it will flatten.  Discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon.

Swelling

Thank you very much for your question.

From the pictures themselves, it's not easy to say what exactly is going on.  I recommend contacting your surgeon for an evaluation.  You may have a seroma that has redeveloped.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Swelling After Tummy Tuck

It is difficult to determine as swelling may take 6 months to subside.

Should you still be concerned after the 6 month period, I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Take care.

Swelling 3 mos postop

Thanks for your question.  If the swelling fluctuates in size with exercise etc, it is possible that this could improve over time.  The fluid drainage pathways (lymphatic vessels) from your lower abdominal tissue take time to reconnect.

Swelling After Mini TT

Thank you for your question, and the pictures.

It is difficult to know exactly what the bulge is.  It may be just swelling (and likely is), but it could also be another seroma trying to form.  If a seroma stays around for too long, it may progress into something called a "pseudobursa" which is essentially a chronic seroma which can be more difficult to get rid of.  I recommend visiting with your surgeon for an evaluation and a discussion of your options based on what this likely is.  Best of luck!

Mini tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is a possibility that the bulge you see is the result of swelling.  This can persist for the next few months.  What is important is that you follow the post-op instructions of your surgeon closely moving forward.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Swelling after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Swelling after a tummy tuck procedure typically decreases with every week that passes, with the majority of the swelling gone by six weeks.  From that point, I often tell patients that they can go about freely to exercise or engage in strenuous activity and lifting.  Increased activity, however, may prolong how long the small remaining swelling takes to subside.  The swelling may also be more intermittent at this stage and related to the degree of activity in any given day.  This may last between the three - six month mark.  I would visit with your plastic surgeon at the six month mark to revisit your results and take post-op photographs.

Swelling after mini TT

Swelling after any Abdominal skin reduction surgery takes up to six months to resolve and stabilize.  Compression garments help with this.  However, you need to make sure that you are not collecting another seroma in this area.  An Ultrasound examination would clearly show a seroma and drainage with ultrasound guidance would ensure removal of all of the fluid.  I suggest you return to see your physician for evaluation of this possibility.

Semira Bayati, MD, FACS

Swelling above mini tummy tuck incision site.

Hi, JessLS.  Your are still in your recovery.  During the first 6 months, you can experience fluctuation of swelling.  With activity, swelling can increase.  Please give another couple months for your body to adjust; and follow up with your plastic surgeon closely.